XR650R Throttle Problems

3 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted November 11, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Hey guys,
I had the carb apart, then put it back together and it ran fine. then, I check to see the throttle cables were tight, then put it all back together, went for a ride and the trottle was binding up and getting stuck, not snapping back as it should. So I went back over my steps, tried to adjust the throttle cables, kept getting it to "function and snap back as normal", but if I grab the throttle grip just right, or squeeze the front brake it seems to make the throttle lock up? I am wondering if the throttle is bad, or just out of adjustment? It seems like it has some play, and kinda feels like it is "grinding" at times when it is "locked up". Any ideas? :cheers:

• gosouth

Posted November 11, 2006 - 10:20 PM

It could be how you routed the cables under the tank. Check that first. The cables have to go on top of the left tank mount not below it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted November 11, 2006 - 11:08 PM

I decided to take the throttle apart, just to see inside and the cable had gotten loose and was binding in the throttle housing. I put it back together with viturally no play as it had before, and I am sure it will feel real responsive on tomorrow's ride! I can not wait!!..:p :cheers:

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:58 AM

I decided to take the throttle apart, just to see inside and the cable had gotten loose and was binding in the throttle housing. I put it back together with viturally no play as it had before, and I am sure it will feel real responsive on tomorrow's ride! I can not wait!!..:p :cheers:

I think you got it. If the throttle cables are not perfectly routed inside the throttle housing they can bind. Happened to me too, glad you got it sorted. When you get a chance--before you ride--start the engine and turn the handle bars, lock to lock, that's a good test to make sure there's no funny business.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.