UPPER STEERING BEARING FIX, finally

12 replies to this topic
  • jamiehughes

Posted November 11, 2006 - 01:25 PM

i took my steering head apart just to check it again, as i wash my bike after every ride, and what do you know the upper bearing already had some rust on it and the race also. i've only had the bike since june of this year and have already taken it apart and put grease in there once. now yamaha finally shows a fix for this. if you purchase a new upper bearing #93332-00078 it actually comes with a rubber seal built on to the top of the bearing so it should help seal even more of the water out of there. if you need the top seal also that # is 4EW-23416-00. looks like it should work pretty good to me. make sure if you don't use these #'s that your parts guy looks up the right # for the top as now the top and bottom bearing both come with seals already on them,and the bottom one has a little bit different seal on it. the dealer microfishe is really vague on this part and looking at it on there makes it look like the bottom bearing is on the top, so it's pretty easy for the parts guy to confuse the two.. hope this helps, we'll see how it works.

• Fastest1

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:49 PM

i took my steering head apart just to check it again, as i wash my bike after every ride, and what do you know the upper bearing already had some rust on it and the race also. i've only had the bike since june of this year and have already taken it apart and put grease in there once. now yamaha finally shows a fix for this. if you purchase a new upper bearing #93332-00078 it actually comes with a rubber seal built on to the top of the bearing so it should help seal even more of the water out of there. if you need the top seal also that # is 4EW-23416-00. looks like it should work pretty good to me. make sure if you don't use these #'s that your parts guy looks up the right # for the top as now the top and bottom bearing both come with seals already on them,and the bottom one has a little bit different seal on it. the dealer microfishe is really vague on this part and looking at it on there makes it look like the bottom bearing is on the top, so it's pretty easy for the parts guy to confuse the two.. hope this helps, we'll see how it works.

Ever think of installing a zerks fitting in the steering head? Maybe a spacer inside to displace excess grease to allow for purging and to keep weight to a minimum.

• jamiehughes

Posted November 11, 2006 - 08:00 PM

zerks seems like a lot of drilling work, and that frame on the 06 models is hollow iinside the bearing housing, i dont see how a zerk in there would do anything unless you filled the whole neck up with grease.i don't think i would want to be drilling holes in my one piece aluminum frame.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 12, 2006 - 07:43 AM

zerks seems like a lot of drilling work, and that frame on the 06 models is hollow iinside the bearing housing, i dont see how a zerk in there would do anything unless you filled the whole neck up with grease.i don't think i would want to be drilling holes in my one piece aluminum frame.

agreed no drilling for me either - please let us know how the new bearings work - and many thanks for a possible fix to a stupid problem

• fastbyfrank

Posted November 12, 2006 - 08:03 AM

i drilled tapped and installed a zerk on my 04 yz450f. the oil tank in the frame would cook the grease outa the bearings and the bearings would go to heck.
i was able to keep the grease in the bearings and force out moisture after a wash job.
worked good!!
took 20 mins. to do the job.
i am going to do my 06 the same way altho i feel it may not be as hard on brgs. because of the tank relocation.

fbf

• jamiehughes

Posted November 12, 2006 - 09:36 AM

i just don't see how a zerk is gonna work. are you gonna fill the whole steering head up with grease? the regular frame has holes in it where it connects to the steering head, the grease will go in there also.i think that i'll stick with the spending $20 bucks on a bearing and 10 minutes changing it, no drilling , no tapping needed. you only have to take off 5 bolts and one nut to get to the top bearing. i'm thinking if installing grease zerks was great fix we would have seen it on the factory race bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted November 12, 2006 - 11:17 AM

Jamie, I tend to agree. My bearing appeared to be damaged by water. I dont pressurewash my bike.

Until I have a way to keep water from entering, I dont see a grease fitting doing much.

• skipperlantz

Posted November 12, 2006 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info.

• Fastest1

Posted November 12, 2006 - 02:20 PM

Too easy to create a sealed chamber and a spacer to displace the grease so you dont fill the whole cavity with grease (it is heavy). What is the problem drilling in aluminum, especially in the front of the steering head? You could purge daily if desired.

• jamiehughes

Posted November 12, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Too easy to create a sealed chamber and a spacer to displace the grease so you dont fill the whole cavity with grease (it is heavy). What is the problem drilling in aluminum, especially in the front of the steering head? You could purge daily if desired.

seems like more work than just replacing the old upper bearing with the new rubber sealed bearing. and i don't really want to drill a hole in the frame of my $6000 dirt bike.just my 2 cents worth though.

• stroker101

Posted November 12, 2006 - 08:04 PM

4EW-23416-00 is the same seal that came with my 06' YZ450F, and it's the one that is allowing water into the bearing. is there a part # for the 07' model?
thanks.

• jamiehughes

Posted November 12, 2006 - 08:40 PM

4EW-23416-00 is the same seal that came with my 06' YZ450F, and it's the one that is allowing water into the bearing. is there a part # for the 07' model?
thanks.

that seal isn't what completely keeps the water out, the new bearing under that seal has a rubber seal built around the top that seal against the bottom of the top seal to keep the water out. it's a pretty unique looking bearing. and yes the upper seal is the same as the 07, but i bet they come with the updated bearing.

• RCannon

Posted November 18, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Mine just arrived today. It is quite an upgrade from the open unit. I hope it works.

I wonder if the aftermarket kits come with a good, sealed bearing?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.