Is Shell Advance advance any good?

10 replies to this topic
  • shrekka

Posted November 11, 2006 - 04:10 AM

Hi there
is Shell Advance SX4 motor oil any good for my YZ426F 2002 model? Or should l use a full synthetic oil instead

Shrekka

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 11, 2006 - 12:16 PM

shell rotella will do her fine. What ever you use make sure the round stamp on the jug doesnt have "EC" or "energy conserving" on it. that will have friction modifiers in it and can cause the clutch to slip.

• shrekka

Posted November 11, 2006 - 01:04 PM

thanks for reply

in OZ they dont sell Shell Rotella branded oil...Its a semi synthetic oil Shell Advance SX4 is...

Shrekka

• sime

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:50 AM

What ever oil you start using make sure you continue using the same oil and change it oftern and you should be fine. Personally I perfer motul over shell as ive seen motors pulled down after running on both oils and the bike running motul had allot less carbon build up on the valves.

• 642MX

Posted November 14, 2006 - 10:18 AM

ive seen motors pulled down after running on both oils and the bike running motul had allot less carbon build up on the valves.

Carbon deposits are caused by the fuel not the oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:29 AM

One would hope that, especially with no more oil than modern MX'ers carry.

But unless the valve seals or oil ring are performing poorly, very little of the combustion chamber carbon is burned oil.

• MJC476

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I have used shell semi synth in my 01YZ426 & 04250f & changed every 3-4 hours of riding. Both bikes looked fine, cams,piston, cylinder etc when top end maintenance was performed. Never had any mech or gearbox problems

• BergArabia

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:38 AM

change it often and avoid the friction modifiers..

• Radbuster

Posted November 15, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Hi Shrekka,

I use Shell Advance (Advance is Shell's motorcycle- specific brand if anyone cares to know) VSX4 which is semi-synthetic and it works very well for me. I buy it in 25liters at a time and get it for about $9/liter. Yeah, I know, but over here that's a good deal. Your SX is the mineral/dino oil, so the VSX is a mix of SX and Ultra4 full synth. If it works for you please let me know.

Clutch (rekluse) seems to work well with it and gearbox works smoothly. After about 3 hours of use i start missing an occasional shift, which reminds me I've been neglecting my baby. I've tried a no-name brand at full-synthetic, but I missed a lot of shifts and the clutch plates gummed up with something gooey and black.

Shure, Motul feels even better for the clutch and gearbox, but I can only get it at full synthetic and no discounts. $$$'s!

Good luck

• Sec1

Posted November 19, 2006 - 02:25 AM

Hi there
is Shell Advance SX4 motor oil any good for my YZ426F 2002 model? Or should l use a full synthetic oil instead

Shrekka

Hey Champ,

myself and all the guyz i ride with use that oil.... works a treat :cheers:

just change every couple of hundred km's .... there abouts...

cheers Mark

• jjgixxer

Posted November 19, 2006 - 02:58 AM

Carbon deposits are caused by the fuel not the oil.

not so true.. If you have bad rings, valve seals. It will cause deposits. Now running pump fuel, will also cause this so your half right.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.