Clarke Tank-black?????

11 replies to this topic
  • jaredc28

Posted November 10, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Do they make a clarke tank in black, or can you paint the white/neutral one? I am leaning towards blacking out my 93'xr650l. It has white fenders, that I need to paint also? HELP...:cheers:

• simon@vic

Posted November 10, 2006 - 08:04 PM

you cant paint plastic fuel tanks!

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 10, 2006 - 08:30 PM

Technically you could paint the plastic tank. But It will need to be repainted several times from all the chaffing & rubbing you'd do while riding, not to mention the scratches from everything else! Krylon fusion is a cheap alternative to flex primer and paint and clear coat.

• goblin127

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:17 AM

Technically you could paint the plastic tank. But It will need to be repainted several times from all the chaffing & rubbing you'd do while riding, not to mention the scratches from everything else! Krylon fusion is a cheap alternative to flex primer and paint and clear coat.

I've used that fusion paint and with a etching primer (flex) the stuff is pretty good.

• machman

Posted November 11, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Everybody makes a black tank for this bike (same year as mine). I wouldn't paint yours. Besides the rubbing off, those tanks also breath and will cause the paint to bubble over time. Overall a bad solution, especially when you get frustrated and decide you want to sell your white one that's now covered in black bubbled and scratched paint.

Rather than spend the extra money on a new tank, I just decided to go with white everything on mine. I'll use a blue accent for my F2 wheels and side panels. Should look good.

...or maybe I'll go with black wheels and side panel...

• xlr8r

Posted November 11, 2006 - 10:00 AM

I may be wrong but it seems like I was recently on the clarke website via a link and it was "pick-the-bike-now-pick-the-color" type of situation. I remember colors like orange and forest green even being available. Try to get to the clarke website and check it out. Painting will lead to misery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lhark

Posted November 11, 2006 - 10:40 AM

The L I have came with a red IMS tank, so I got lucky to find someone right away that wanted all my red stuff, when I went to all black last year. I noticed that the black tank didn't bubble the decals (Factory Effex XR50), as the red one did, with the same brand of stickers. Anyone else have this same situation? I got a few, on the side that faces the sun more, when I park it, at work, but hardly any on the other side.

• DockingPilot

Posted November 11, 2006 - 05:40 PM

Sure you can paint a plastic gas tank..................just dont put any gas in it !
:cheers:

• pburke

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:07 PM

Clarke 4.3 in black:

Posted Image

1000 miles of riding and there's so many scuff marks on it that I doubt you'd be happy with a painted unit. Those side panel covers are painted and by now they don't look that pretty anymore either

you can get all the plastic in black for the bike, but I did hte math and without the tank you're looking at about $320 to go completely black. That buys a lot ofblack paint

• Rideaide

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:13 PM

IMS has a black tank available. Part # 112221-BK for the XR650L.

• MindBlower

Posted November 15, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Clarke 4.3 in black:

Posted Image

1000 miles of riding and there's so many scuff marks on it that I doubt you'd be happy with a painted unit. Those side panel covers are painted and by now they don't look that pretty anymore either

you can get all the plastic in black for the bike, but I did hte math and without the tank you're looking at about $320 to go completely black. That buys a lot ofblack paint

That looks good. Look even better with the shrouds black too. That would be sweet.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 16, 2006 - 09:52 AM

Do they make a clarke tank in black, or can you paint the white/neutral one? I am leaning towards blacking out my 93'xr650l. It has white fenders, that I need to paint also? HELP...:cheers:

Yes they do, and for your bike, I have the same one in 5 gallon on my all black 1996 XR600R and it is great quality...wanna see it?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.