650r-ticking noise

8 replies to this topic
  • smrich

Posted November 10, 2006 - 04:51 PM

I have a 2000 650r Motarded. After a hard top speed run the top end started ticking bad the next day. First I replaced the cam chain tensioner, still ticking so I checked valves, adj. an still ticking! Ticking is in the top end. Should I be looking at the decompression? Would this be more like a bent valve or cracked spring? Bike still has all the power of before an doesn't smoke, but tail of muffler has a little black soot around it. Thanks guys!

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 10, 2006 - 05:15 PM

How are the cam bearings? Do a compression check to eliminate bent valves.

• smrich

Posted November 10, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Going to get tool. thanks

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 10, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Your quite welcome!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted November 10, 2006 - 11:58 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, smrich......

If it still runs good, no valves are bent and I dought you have a cracked spring...
From what you said, the valve lash is right..so it must be chain or ...:cheers: ...

:p :bonk:

• XRMANU

Posted November 11, 2006 - 02:32 AM

Low oil level? -> worn rockers/cam :cheers: Worn rockers make some ticking noise.

Look also for brass in the oilfilter/screen....

• smrich

Posted November 11, 2006 - 09:14 AM

Intake rocker arm really worn! Exhaust ok. Have to check spec on all parts, but if the intake rocker arm is worn am I looking at valve bent or springs cracked or shot, or camshaft out of spec? Maybe just the rocker arm is bad?

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 11, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Well at least you found the tick! Congrats!

• XRMANU

Posted November 11, 2006 - 04:00 PM

Check your oil level often ,especialy with high speed/Sm riding .Look out for your big end !

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.