I broke my own rule...

7 replies to this topic
  • woodsk

Posted November 10, 2006 - 02:46 PM

So I was cruzing ebay on monday and came across a great deal on a Q2 for my '04 450. Also this week I was preping the same bike for a ride on saturday. now I have this rule that has developed over the years, it is a very simple rule but I still cannot stop myself from breaking from time to time, especially when I come home to find a cool new part sitting on my porch that I didn't ecpect until next week.

The Rule is simply --Do not modify your bike the night before a ride--

Me being the sucker that I am for new parts, immediatly forget about my rule and pull off the heavy as hell (I didn't realize how heavy it really was) stock pipe and throw on the new shiny Ti Q2.

Now keep in mind that thursday I had changed the oil, drained the carb of the crapy winter fuel we have around here and the bike ran just fine on the warm up ride around the neighborhood.

So with the new pipe bolted on I pull the choke and thumb the starter. The starter starts to spin the motor sounds like it's going to catch...and then BANG one of the loudest backfires I have ever heard. I scratch my head for a moment and try it agian same thing but this time I keep diligently pressing the button, and the bike keeps diligently refusing to start and ocassionally shouting at me from the shiny new Q.

So I go over the carb, adjust fuel screw, inspect plug and just for the hell of it throw in a new on. Futher attempts to start (by kicking no less, because I have worn out the battery) result in the same refusal to start and some what less shouting from the tail end.

Since I have broken my own rule and modified my bike the night before a ride I figured I would see if anyone had any ideas that might save me from taking my trusty 400 on the ride wich I am getting ready to sell so I really don't want to bang it up anymore than it is.

So any ideas for this undiciplined rule breaker?

• MountainMax

Posted November 10, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Sounds like a good rule, I should follow that one also. As for your problem, sounds like she's not getting gas, is there fresh gas reaching and filling up the new carb?? maybe a stuck float needle or a missing fuel screw???

• woodsk

Posted November 10, 2006 - 06:21 PM

lesson #1 -- just because you thought you have cleaned your carb, you may not have done a good particularly good job. And when someone elese offers the same opinion as the nagging voice in your head as to the potentialy poor job of carb cleaning you have done you should listen to them (thanks max), and probably the voice in your head as well. Well at least as it pertains to your potential fuel delivery issues, and not the othere things it tells you to do.

Lesson #2 -- After you have cleaned your carb for the second time and re-assemble and re-install it rather quickly therefore forgetting to insert the fuel screw, interesting things begin to happen. Like your head pipe suddenly becoming very similar to chernobyl.

Oh well hopefully next time I will follow my own rules

• MN_Paul

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:19 AM

The natural tendancy is to blame the new part, but unless the exhaust is blocked, it should have nothing to do with the bike not starting. Most likely it is something that got bumped, disturbed or whatever when doing the install, or as others have mentioned, it sounds a lot lot like a carb/gas problem

Paul

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:04 AM

Good to hear you found the problem, I always use my own rule that whenever the carb is being worked on ,whether it is on or off the bike, I use a clean white shop rag or towel to lay all the peices onto. That way none of them will get forgotten in the reassemly process. My .02---WR Dave.:cheers:

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Lesson #2 -- After you have cleaned your carb for the second time and re-assemble and re-install it rather quickly therefore forgetting to insert the fuel screw, interesting things begin to happen. Like your head pipe suddenly becoming very similar to chernobyl.

So the missing fuel screw was the problem? After all that, I hope you give us a ride report with the new pipe.

• new2blu

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Since you have changed the muffler the bike will probably need to be re-jetted; this could cause the backfiring issue. I would go up 1-2 sizes on the pilot jet and mess with the fuel screw to fine tune it. You could also twist the throttle 1-2 times to prime the engine. After you get it running it may run better with the choke on--this would be an indication of a lean mixture; which would mean a re-jet.

• ADVnaut

Posted November 12, 2006 - 12:04 AM

Folks:bonk:, he fixed his prob by post three of this thread. His inside voice and max told him he wasn't getting gas(causing popping and no start). He cleaned carb, reassembled(minus fuel screw). Started bike and went to tune the screw(dope!:cheers: ). So how did you like the pipe?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.