WR400 Oil Change

2 replies to this topic
  • phyter23

Posted November 10, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Well Just did my first oil change (be gentle im new!) I could have sworn i need 2 quarts for a fill up but the guy at the shop told me one TOPS if not less then that. Needless to say i bought one, checked the dipstick (another question do u just insert the dip stick or screw it in to check the level) and it was not even registering. So how much oil DO i need ??? Thanks for answering such a newbie question.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cumminsgetsome

Posted November 10, 2006 - 04:54 PM

If I remember right mine takes just over 1 1/2 quarts.

• 1rkcooper

Posted November 11, 2006 - 09:30 AM

According to the manual for a 1998 WR400.
You must start the bike and let it idle for more than three minutes before checking the oil. Once warmed up you can check the oil by inserting the dipstick, do not screw it in.
This is what the manual calls for:
periodic oil change 1.5 ltr (1.32 Imp qt, 1.59 US qt)
with oil filter replacement 1.6 ltr (1.41 Imp qt, 1.69 US qt)
total amount 1.7 ltr (1.50 Imp qt, 1.80 US qt)

I go with the dipstick check for the correct fill.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.