IMS vs. Clarke vs. Acerbis '01 XR650R

Honda XR650R Body Gas Tanks & Accessories IMS Large Capacity Gas Tank Body Gas Tanks & Accessories Clarke Mfg Gas Tank

28 replies to this topic
  • tallbiker

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:09 PM

where did you get the 6 gallon tank that fits a 650L.? I looked all over the place and cant find them?

• Suikerland

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:18 AM

I ride a 650R, which is what that Acerbis is made for. Don't know if they make them for the L.

• Rider Eh

Posted March 11, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Thanks to this post I think I've decided on the Clarke. I have one question though, does a white tank stain like the natural tanks do?

• EX4WHEELER

Posted March 11, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Just a note, I just ordered the IMS 4.6 gallon through Baja Designs. They have them on sale right now for the 650r for $165.00

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cb60130

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:03 PM

I have a 4.6 gal. IMS tank. Just took a 125 miler last week... never hit reserve. Don't really care to. Mine is red but as long as there is daylight you can still see your fuel level without a problem. I did have to do a little shaving on one of the radiator shrouds.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• coolsands

Posted March 11, 2009 - 08:40 PM

I have a 01 XR650R. I went with Clark/4.3 . It works great. Bolted right up. Just the right amount of gas. Only problem so for was the gasket for cap.:)

For my 2001 XR650R

Searched around, and found some information, but I need a little more.

Looking at an after market tank, which works best? I plan to go with the red, and would like it to match the OEM color. I will be running a Scott's Damper, probably. Any clearance issues?

What range are you averaging with a 4.3 gal?

I have considered the seven gal behemoth from acerbis, though it looks too wide for my tastes. Though extra fuel is good, but adds weight. Yes I know you can run it low, so why not a smaller tank?

I've had natural colored tanks before, but I'm not racing so no need to check level, on the fly.

Pictures would be great!!!

Anxious to find out what the BRP heads are using, and what works.

Thanks,

• weskc35k

Posted March 11, 2009 - 09:28 PM

How narrow is the IMS 4.6 compared to the 3.2 or the stocker?

• river251

Posted December 05, 2009 - 05:26 PM

i have a clarke 4.3 and a a scotts damper that uses the oil fill mount. the tank does interfere with the mount just enough to be a pain in the ass. to change the oil i have to remove the tank.

This would not be true if you didn't use the Scott's with the oil fill mount would it?
Thanks.

• bongodave

Posted December 05, 2009 - 07:24 PM

This would not be true if you didn't use the Scott's with the oil fill mount would it?
Thanks.

That's odd. I have the Clarke (and did have an IMS before,) and the Scott's with the old oil-fill mount, and both tanks fit fine with little fuss. I had to put an extra hose clamp on the fuel line to keep it round, but that was no biggie.

I certainly don't have to take the tank off to check the oil. Just the #(@*$ stabilizer and mount!

I'm getting the front-mount once I can afford it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.