03-on WR voltage regulator failure?

2 replies to this topic
  • moleculo

Posted November 09, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Who here with an 03-on WR without an aftermarket dual sport kit installed has had their stock voltage regulator fail? What was the symptom?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailordune

Posted November 09, 2006 - 11:01 PM

just ordered a regulator for my 04. bike would not charge the battery at all while riding. i always plug in the battery tender before a ride and i would get about 10 starts out of the battery, then it was kick for the rest of the day no matter how much or how fast i rode. this is with a fairly new battery. i think my regulator was crap since i bought the bike new, i just thought the charging system did'nt charge well trail riding. anyway, long story short, i tested it per manual and it is faulty. hope i have better luck with a new one. i did notice when i ordered it that the original part # was superceded by another # (hopefully better part). good luck!

• Mudd Slinger

Posted November 16, 2006 - 06:02 PM

My just started having problems and I am still troubleshooting. Here are some of the symptoms. The bike is an 03 and I trail ride hard about 2 - 4 times a month. The bike was sitting and fired up about once a month while recovering from a shoulder injury. This is when I noticed the battery dead.
1. I replaced battery and it killed new battery (.5 V and will not charge) on one trip after about a 2 hr ride in some tight rocky trail riding and several stalls and restarts with the easy button. I should have checked the charging current after replacing battery.
2. Cleaned all connectors on battery and charging system after finding small amounts of corrosion. I am now getting about 8+ volts at battery terminals but battery still less than 0.5V when disconnected (battery now appears damaged).
3. Measured charging coil resistance and approximately 900 mOhms. It should be a little less than 500 mOhms according to manual.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.