Electrical problem from going swimming?

7 replies to this topic
  • sgifford

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:34 AM

During a ride a couple of weeks ago in Arkansas, an innocent looking water/mud hole turned out to be much deeper than expected. My 'L' got stuck in muddy water up to the top of the engine.

After another guy helped me wrestle it out, I removed the air filter and wrung out the water, drained the carb, pulled the plug, and turned the engine over to expel any water that had made it that far. No water came out fo the spark plug hole or exhaust, so it looked like water didn't get into the cylinder.

It started right up, and I rode it about 15 miles back to the hotel. A few days after returning home, I drained and replaced the oil (it didn't look milky), greased the swingarm and linkage bearings, and cleaned the air filter. It continued to sound just fine when running.

Riding home from work yesterday I noticed a clicking/ticking sound at idle. When I'd hear the sound, the engine would also seem to skip. The ticking sound speeds up as I give it gas until I can no longer hear it over the engine. The engine seems to run fine and pull strong at higher revs.

I had recently adjusted the valves, but I rechecked them today. They are good. I also sprayed all the electrical connections at about seat height and lower with WD40 to get rid of any remaining moisture.

I've done most everything on my collection of XRs, but I've never had to mess with electrical stuff before. Could water have penetrated and damaged an electical component, causing an uneven spark at lower RPMs? The bike has 13k miles on it. Many of those have been hard off-road miles, but it doesn't seem like there should be anything mechanically wrong with the top-end.

I'd appreciate any input.

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 09, 2006 - 02:01 PM

Did you clean out the spark plug boot, or did you check out the condition of the stator to see if the was any muck in there? Check the connection at the coil, CDI box?

• sgifford

Posted November 11, 2006 - 12:28 PM

After some checking, I don't think it's an electrical problem. From reading other posts, the intermittent ticking noise sounds a lot like a malfunctioning decompressor described by others.

I don't hear the clicking noise when turning the engine over with my drill. I removed the head cover and verified by hand that the one-way clutch of the auto-decompressor only turns one way (opposite the normal counter-clockwise direction). It doesn't appear to be loose on the the camshaft.

Still hunting for the cause of the intermittent ticking at certain (but not all) low rpms. The engine kind of skips when I hear the click, so it sure seems like it could be the decompressor engaging abnormally and dropping compression.

I borrowed the Honda service manual from my friend for his 94 L. Curiously, it has no information about the decompressor at all. I thought all L model years had the auto-decompressor?

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 11, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Check your pick up coil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted November 11, 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hey,sgifford, Get all your elec. connections dry and assemble them with
dielectric grease..and coat inside the spark plug with it....

:cheers: :p

• sgifford

Posted November 11, 2006 - 04:08 PM

I removed the coil and plug boot and tried on a friends '94 650L. Worked fine.

Would a spark problem cause an intermittent ticking noise? And only at idle and just above?

I've already opened all the connectors that would have been submerged and sprayed them with WD40.

Seldon

• doc8m

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:47 PM

another possible source of intermittant clicking with a skip of the motor could be a loose timing chain

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I removed the coil and plug boot and tried on a friends '94 650L. Worked fine.

Would a spark problem cause an intermittent ticking noise? And only at idle and just above?

I've already opened all the connectors that would have been submerged and sprayed them with WD40.

Seldon

Yes the wire or cap will cause ticking noise if the insulator is cracked or worn and creating a short to the frame or motor thus causing it to stumble.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.