Yamaha is Misleading You in Advertisements for the 07 WR's

49 replies to this topic
  • waynus

Posted November 13, 2006 - 01:23 AM

I understand how you feel mate. It's the principle. Specification change. What if they decided to change the frame back to the steel one and set the motor forward again, all these blokes would want their deposit back. If you buy something that is advertised with such and such, that is what you expect to get. Obviously you're disappointed but I would have still stuck to Blue and kicked up a song and dance for the YZ forks as mentioned before

Good luck with the Honda

• Tony426

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:54 PM

As advertised in dirt nike magazine:
Chassis/Suspension:

* All-new YZ-inspired aluminum frame helps reduce weight while optimizing mass centralization. An extensively tested assembly of aluminum forgings, castings and extrusions. The new WR frame retains legendary Yamaha handling and response.
* Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tube for reduced weight.
* Fully adjustable air/oil-separate 48mm fork tubes deliver precise, fade-free handling; fork protectors provide excellent tube coverage.
* Tapered swingarm adopts YZ-style linkage for controlled, compliant rear suspension action. Revised axle and holders reduce weight in a critical area.
* The Kayaba shock provides 12.0 inches of travel with adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping, rebound and spring preload—and features a larger piggyback reservoir for excellent damping and fade resistance.
* New, wave disc brake rotors front and rear reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance. Front and rear calipers with aluminum pistons deliver strong stopping power with progressive feel.
* Lightweight 21-inch front and 18-inch rear Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance.
* Premium Dunlops offer unbeatable, competition-spec traction and excellent wear.

http://www.dirtbikem...tail.asp?id=649
Still Myself I would take the Yam over the Honda any day.
The forks on my WR work just fine when set up for my weight and riding style, I certainly cant feel the difference between single or twin cartridge forks ,but I can tell the difference between the Yamaha's top end power, pulling into over rev and the crfx's power that seems to stop dead way before the red line. I guess ya pays ya money an ya takes ya choice.

• hall1012

Posted November 19, 2006 - 02:07 PM

Don't get a Honda based on that.... Only if you plan on more frequent maintenance, more often valve adjustments, less reliability, and red. Good god.

• white_paper_180

Posted November 19, 2006 - 02:17 PM

what a bitch fest. seriously, yamaha probably pays someone to run and update there website. its like the telephone game. information is going to get mixed around. Maybe you should write to there customer complain department. Im sure you wont get results that lead to a major bike change but at least they would know it got some people mad. As for the law suite.... good luck but realize that yamaha is a multi million dollar business, they will hire 10 lawyers for you 1, that is if they think you even have a case. Bite the bullet, suck it up, and think of all the good times you've had on a yami, im sure one incident isnt enough to go to the dark side (honda)

• strandman

Posted November 19, 2006 - 03:13 PM

When my forks don't work,......................I go with chop stix.:cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • squirrel1

Posted November 19, 2006 - 03:31 PM

It's official. Yamaha's website has been advertising for months now, preorders in for new 07 WR's and describing them as having "air/oil separate" front forks or Twin Chambers. Wording in their advertisements was identical to the YZ's.
They changed the website yesterday to read "cartridge" front forks.
This came after I questioned them about it, as it was a MAJOR selling point of the bike to me after coming off of the lousy cartridge stuff on KTM's I've had for years.
They are trying to sweep this under a rug by altering the description/specs after the fact and people have committed to buying these bikes.
I for one will may pursue this legally, as I have committed quite a bit of money towards setting up this bike after the purchase in order to race it in off road events.
If this is the way Yamaha intends to do business-through misleading advertisements. I will be cancelling my bike order and probably going to Honda.

:cheers:

After riding a KTM and not being happy with their forks, you will be much happier and satisfied with whatever forks come on the 07 WR's. With that said, I seriously doubt you could tell a difference between the YZ and WR forks.

• DR_K13

Posted November 19, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Didn't they actually take some R6's back this year for failing to make 17K redline as promised?

Yup, tons of them are in a warehouse here in So. Cal . I guess they are selling them for about 2 grand. I guess you can only buy one if you work for Yamaha:crazy:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 19, 2006 - 07:38 PM

When my forks don't work,......................I go with chop stix.

:cheers: :p :bonk: :crazy: :worthy: :eek: :p :bonk: :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :ride: :ride: :ride:

• Brent McCabe

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:51 AM

It's official. Yamaha's website has been advertising for months now, preorders in for new 07 WR's and describing them as having "air/oil separate" front forks or Twin Chambers. Wording in their advertisements was identical to the YZ's.
They changed the website yesterday to read "cartridge" front forks.
This came after I questioned them about it, as it was a MAJOR selling point of the bike to me after coming off of the lousy cartridge stuff on KTM's I've had for years.
They are trying to sweep this under a rug by altering the description/specs after the fact and people have committed to buying these bikes.
I for one will may pursue this legally, as I have committed quite a bit of money towards setting up this bike after the purchase in order to race it in off road events.
If this is the way Yamaha intends to do business-through misleading advertisements. I will be cancelling my bike order and probably going to Honda.

:worthy:

I have only been riding about 5 months now, and it seemed to me that whatever I'm not comfortable with on my bike means that I need to work on that area harder to become a more developed rider, rather than find excuses as to why something didn't come from the factory perfect for me.

• arizonachef

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:19 AM

maybe it was just a mistake!!!! dont buy it than buy something else

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.