Yamaha is Misleading You in Advertisements for the 07 WR's

49 replies to this topic
  • WR450RICKO

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:24 PM

you will bleeed blue when the red leaves you stranded.

• Desracer

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:28 PM

Gee, after riding with KTM silverware riding with the Yamaha forks would be like factory stuff. My friends say their new 07 KTM suspension is the best ever " almost Japanese good " The Yamaha engine is reliable and if it doesnt work forks are a small concern. Good luck with your Honda.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:30 PM

KTM is the leader in desert racing. Don't buy any other brand and think you can sue for buyers remorse.
Shut up and ride.

Best thing I did was to sell my KTM and buy another WR...

• dangermouse007

Posted November 10, 2006 - 08:39 AM

??? I don't understand, is there that much difference in the Forks ???? would you notice....??? Sorry just don't understand...

I am moving from an 03 to 07...when it arrives, my mate has a CR450...and thats put me off for life, and KTM is nice and does ride well, but the future is Blue for me....

• yz-dwg

Posted November 10, 2006 - 03:17 PM

I'm with dangermouse, whats wrong with my forks? should I call Yamaha? maybe I shouldnt ride it any more?, I am no pro like you are, but my '06 WR450 seems plenty fast enough for me, I dont know anything about Honda or catridge forks but I know I love my WR................

• MountainMax

Posted November 10, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I doubt the average rider (like me) would notice this change, or lack thereof. but I do know i need stiffer springs... :cheers:

• Lowedog

Posted November 10, 2006 - 05:46 PM

I don't remember reading anywhere that the WR would have the AOS forks. As soon as they introduced the pics on the Yamaha website the bike was shown with Kayaba cartridge forks. Kayaba cartridge forks are light years better than the WP cartridge forks on the KTM.

-Lowedog

• ksrrider

Posted November 10, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Best thing I did was to sell my KTM and buy another WR...

It must have been an older KTM, because I love my 06 450xc and I was a die hard Yamaha guy for years. I race D-37 and KTMs pretty much rule out there.
Truthfully, their all good once you set them up right.

• ksrrider

Posted November 10, 2006 - 09:32 PM

I don't remember reading anywhere that the WR would have the AOS forks. As soon as they introduced the pics on the Yamaha website the bike was shown with Kayaba cartridge forks. Kayaba cartridge forks are light years better than the WP cartridge forks on the KTM.

-Lowedog

I would diagree on the "light years" statement, because KTM has come a long way. My last two YZFs were very set up for desert and my 06 450xc is just as good, and it too is very set up.

• Gadsen

Posted November 10, 2006 - 09:59 PM

It's official. Yamaha's website has been advertising for months now, preorders in for new 07 WR's and describing them as having "air/oil separate" front forks or Twin Chambers. Wording in their advertisements was identical to the YZ's.
They changed the website yesterday to read "cartridge" front forks.
This came after I questioned them about it, as it was a MAJOR selling point of the bike to me after coming off of the lousy cartridge stuff on KTM's I've had for years.
They are trying to sweep this under a rug by altering the description/specs after the fact and people have committed to buying these bikes.
I for one will may pursue this legally, as I have committed quite a bit of money towards setting up this bike after the purchase in order to race it in off road events.
If this is the way Yamaha intends to do business-through misleading advertisements. I will be cancelling my bike order and probably going to Honda.

:bonk:

Can you cancel if you are "committed" as you called it? And wouldnt it be cheaper to take the money you are going to use on attorney fees fighting a huge company with much deepr pockets than you and just buy brand new YZ forks to get exactly what you wanted?:cheers: :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:18 AM

It must have been an older KTM.

• Chasejj

Posted November 11, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Can you cancel if you are "committed" as you called it? And wouldnt it be cheaper to take the money you are going to use on attorney fees fighting a huge company with much deepr pockets than you and just buy brand new YZ forks to get exactly what you wanted?:p :bonk:

At some point it was just that I had my mind set on a certain spec I was trying to achieve with this new bike and felt that Yamaha essentially mislead me and others to get early orders. I don't buy the notion that it was an honest mistake.:worthy: If it was, then make it right for myself and others who it makes a difference as we would not be talking about many units at this point.

Not that Honda isn't a corporate monolith even worse than Yamaha,it's just that Yamaha really disappointed me in dealing with this issue.:crazy:

I don't have time for any legal battles and I am probably on shaky ground anyway. So I am moving on.:cheers:

So I bought a CRF450X 2006 from Revloc yesterday that is nicely tricked out(Revloc, AKrapovic,nice CF goodies and protection) for a welathy guy who ran the Colorado 500 on it(one 5 day ride).It even has a plate that will allow me to DS it in Cali since it is a used vehicle.
I am impressed with the Honda and reports I have from guys riding them is that the motors are holding up nicely now. I R/B mine yearly anyway.
The suspension will be everything I was wanting and you must admit that Honda's poularity makes parts and accessories a breeze to get and keep going.
I still think Yamaha is a great bike but when I'm pissed I must do something about it and for this year a Honda will work nicely.

• C-P

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I'm late to this one I know, but working in the auto industry I see this all the time...the problem is that marketing has no f-ing idea what's really going on with the product. They're given some info early on and have to get product hype going and hope it's 99% correct. Can cause a few probs at the dealership level.

Your best bet would have been to take delivery, then bitch up a storm with Yamaha having kept some documentation along the way. And blammo, they send over YZ forks to shut you up. Didn't they actually take some R6's back this year for failing to make 17K redline as promised?

• MountainMax

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:35 PM

Yes there was a recall on the r6's I beleive they were buying them back for the incorrect redline listing.

• bluebike1999

Posted November 11, 2006 - 09:52 PM

about misleading....
initially you said there was legal action coming....
now theres not. hmm

now, given the fact your country is crawling with lawyers, some poor lawyer who was watching this develop, now wont get to represent you, and will not get to benefit from your trouble, his kids wont get that new car as soon and so on.

have a heart mate, i think you should sue Yamaha for every penny they have and for mental stress and anguish you'll have from a honda.
c'mon you put it on a website, cant change now, that lawyer may have already started filling out forms and was counting on what you said as being correct.

poof

back into my hole now

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 11, 2006 - 10:48 PM

me after coming off of the lousy cartridge stuff on KTM's I've had for years.

Yamaha just lost one the best customer's they will ever see and the potential to rope in 2 young riders into their loyalty circle.

So some arrogant nobody coming off KTMs to buy his ONE Yamaha and "possibly" get a whole TWO more people interested in Yamahas is the "best customer they will ever see"? I am certain they are just shaking in their boots, wondering how on earth they are going to continue to pay their bills. Hopefully they can still sell some of the thousands of WR's they have already built. And the lawsuit, oooohh, I bet that really scared them. They have corporate lawyers who train on cases like this, while the real good lawyers sit back and make fun of guys like you. Get real. After reading your posts, I would bet they are damn glad they wont have to deal with you any longer. I am sure Honda is just thrilled to have your business and has sent out a corporate wide news release letting all 60,000 employees know you are now riding red. Congrats Stud. I'll stick with blue. :cheers:

• davo ttt

Posted November 12, 2006 - 04:26 PM

so now you got the red camel with superforks you shouldnt have any problem winning any event you enter

• beasly

Posted November 12, 2006 - 07:15 PM

It's official. Yamaha's website has been advertising for months now, preorders in for new 07 WR's and describing them as having "air/oil separate" front forks or Twin Chambers. Wording in their advertisements was identical to the YZ's.
They changed the website yesterday to read "cartridge" front forks.

Website just changed? :cheers:

I have a hard copy of the WR450 description I printed sometime in October from the Yamaha Canada website. It reads:

Revised, 48mm, adjustable inverted, Kayaba cartridge fork provide excellent suspension performance. The settings have been revised to compliment the new aluminum frame. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8"). Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.

I don't recall it ever being different. Maybe this was just a mistake on the U.S. webpage.

• Octane250F

Posted November 12, 2006 - 08:18 PM

You also forget the disclaimer, "specifications are subject to change without notice."

• davo ttt

Posted November 13, 2006 - 12:05 AM

good luck with the legal action let us know how it goes

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.