yz 450 fresh off the dyno

34 replies to this topic
  • dubious

Posted November 11, 2006 - 09:39 PM

Not entirely true...
Same type of dyno(ie. Dynojet 250i), results should be very close IF the same correction factor is used and the operators use similar procedures. By proper procedures I mean if repeated runs are made till factors are equalized. Sometimes it might take 4-8 runs before results repeat. Tire temps, chain temps, engine temps, etc...
Example...my runs in Mich. or Tenn. can easily be duplicated by Burned(Eddie) in Colorado with an equal bike with similar procedures. That is the advantage of the DynoJet.
A post earlier about modifying the silencer on a 150R showed different graphs numbered consecutively...not very accurate at all. By repeating runs till the graph repeats itself, it eliminates many of the variables. The Dyno can be a very useful tool if used properly Tdub

Gimme a break.
This response was somewhat egotistical, and entirely unrealistic.

So when Ron builds my motor can I expect to get the exact same HP as you! ???????
:cheers:

Better make sure you use the same tire, chain, and all other rotating parts have identical frictional losses.
Rotational mass, wheel bearing and seals, chain friction, brake pad drag, all contribute too, as does strapping the suspension down too tight, tire pressure etc.
Things the correction factor does not make up for.
Where there is not written standard.

How often do you think the procedures are duplicated by the same dyno operator? Let alone 2 mikaniks!

I been around the dyno room with my drag bikes long enough to have more than just a clue whats going on.

To tell the public, and people who don't know better that dyno charts can be duplicated from bike to bike (... which is what this topic started out as) and dyno to dyno....
...well thats just unrealistic, among other things.

I don't come here for pissy matches, nor to be dumbed down.
How bout we all leave our ego's in our pockets.

• FFRacing79

Posted November 11, 2006 - 10:24 PM

Gimme a break.

So when Ron builds my motor can I expect to get the exact same HP as you! ???????

Better make sure you use the same tire, chain, and all other rotating parts have identical frictional losses.
Rotational mass, wheel bearing and seals, chain friction, brake pad drag, all contribute too, as does strapping the suspension down too tight, tire pressure etc.

How often do you think the procedures are duplicated by the same dyno operator? Let alone 2 mikaniks!

I been around the dyno room with my drag bikes long enough to have more than just a clue whats going on.

To tell the public, and people who don't know better that dyno charts can be duplicated from bike to bike (... which is what this topic started out as) and dyno to dyno....

Egotistical??? Huh? What are you talking about?? Re-read my post and you will see just how stupid your remarks are. Ron has an older 150 but his numbers are still very comparable to the 250s that Eddie and I use. Like I said, if operated properly, the dynojets can be VERY comparable...if operated in like manner. Ego? I still don't know where you came up with that.
"I been around the dyno room with my drag bikes long enough to have more than just a clue whats going on." Apparently NOT! Tdub

• FFRacing79

Posted November 11, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Gimme a break.

I just re-read every post in this thread and I have no idea where you are coming from. Where did you read anything about me comparing myself to Ron? Where do you think that this has become a pissing match or that you are being "dumbed" down? You just plain lost me there. Whatever...Tdub

• flintlock28

Posted November 12, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Tdub,

Someone once told me, that if you continually use a fuel that has higher than needed octane, that over a period of time you will have more carbon, and overall debris in the motor from unburned fuel, than if you used an octane that was just high enough to prevent preignition. In other words, let's say your bike needs 91 octane, and over a long time frame you continually use 100 octane. The engine will be "dirtier" from the 100 octane, than if you used 91. Is this true??

• crowerpowerhp

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:51 AM

is that with stock cams in an that 07'.....we have new billet intake cams that would pick up the power nicely, were testing cams with reeds team right now .

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 12, 2006 - 01:27 PM

crower makes cams for the 450? sweet man.

Are there any specs online?

• Stripes123

Posted November 12, 2006 - 02:52 PM

i dont get it i was told by numerous people these 04 s have 51 hp stock any input

I agree with Grey and FFR regarding how unlikely 51hp stock is.

We put together a '04 this spring and left it nearly stock for a buddy to run Supermoto. It registered 48 RWHP on a dynojet dyno but I don't know which model. This was with a 17" Marchesini and fresh Michelin SM tires.

FWIW here is the tune-up we used:
Hindle full system
K&N Air Filter
VP U4

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted November 12, 2006 - 03:05 PM

crower makes cams for the 450? sweet man.

Are there any specs online?

Thinking of trying another YZ450f?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 12, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Thinking of trying another YZ450f?

Thinking? I just got us a blue and a white 07. :cheers:

I rode the blue one up at durhamtown while waiting on the white one to get delivered. Man did they ever make it way better than the 05 was. I grinned like a raccoon the whole time.

It needs a pipe and some gearing, and the standard jetting tweaks. Even though the books say it's 12 pounds heavier than the 250F's are, it feels about 3 pounds lighter. I would imagine that is due to the lower center of gravity.

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2006 - 09:07 AM

...many other fuel factors play into it.

To say the least! You will find that almost every higher quality pump premium will perform more or less the same from a power output standpoint, because, in any given locality, they are almost always all the same gasoline from the same storage tanks with a different additive package added.

Higher-than-premium grade fuels, like Sunoco 110, are either completely separate fuel blends, or premiums that have been doctored. "Your results may vary" is the least you can say about it.

The thing to remember about octane number is that it is, and is only, a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation under pressure, and no matter what other myths and folklore surround it, it has absolutely nothing to do with any other aspect of a fuel's performance character except in the most indirect ways.

• Nashty

Posted November 13, 2006 - 01:21 PM

There is an oxygenated racing fuel out there. You'd have to richen up to compensate for that but it would add some power. Racing gas just has a lower point at which it begins to combust from what I knew (I know it's leaded too - now I'M an expert). I run Torco mach 116 in my drag car (Nitrous + 30# boost from a turbo). I get entertained by the statements of vague authority I see from time to time.

Running it won't hurt your engine or make it carbon up any more than any other gas.

Alot of factors affect dyno numbers too. Read the latest issue of PHR where they got an additional 8hp from a 250hp car. This was on the same dyno with just different factors changed from one run to the next. You can't tell me that they are all ran the same either. I've seen more than one car run on a dyno. My car can vary more than 51hp with just a weather change but it's on the order of ~900hp.

• 525sxwanter

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Dynos are not there for bragging rights on hp... they are there to get the most out of your bike and setup as you possibly can. I would be alot more concerned about jetting and fuel mixture then I would be about power. If you've ever watched drag racing sometimes they say its a good day to make power... meaning the air is thick or dense... that is good for power and thin air or high altitude is bad for power. weather can play a huge factor in power numbers... thats why your better off just getting the thing tuned right and riding instead of pissing about #'s

• Coy229

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:52 PM

i agree use pump gas 93 octane or one of the 98 octane ultimate 4 just dont leave it in the carb. Most normal riders with tons of varying riding levels and styles will never use all the power of a 450. get off the dyno and on the track. i mean i race the +25 novice class and i was the only one on a 250f and was eight over all out of 40 riders so stop looking at numbers to brag about and brag about beating someone on the track!

• Mikeee P

Posted November 13, 2006 - 09:58 PM

Though this is a 2003 YZ450F you might find this interesting as it appears this is K&N's dyno over and over again with diff pipes.

http://www.dirtrider...f_exhaust_test/

• dwnlowx

Posted November 15, 2006 - 09:33 AM

well i have been riding the bike alot lately and the jetting is great it relly runs great starts on the first kick and just rips ,now i have been using 110 and 91

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.