yz 450 fresh off the dyno

34 replies to this topic
  • dwnlowx

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:46 PM

i just got it back and it only has 50 hp and 34 pds of torque, and its an 04 with a bunch of mods such as
fmf 4.1 ,mega bomb header
power now , power now plus
i-cat
boysen carb cover
49 toth sprocket
k@ n filter
110 gas
hinson basket, hub and pressure plate and barnett clutches and springs

i dont get it i was told by numerous people these 04 s have 51 hp stock any input

• 642MX

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Did you dyno it with a knobby tire or a racing slick?

• dwnlowx

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:12 PM

I Used A Touring Tire It Was A Front Tire From A Cruiser
And It Is Simular Tread To A Car Tire

• aford541

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:18 PM

i just got it back and it only has 50 hp and 34 pds of torque, and its an 04 with a bunch of mods such as
fmf 4.1 ,mega bomb header
power now , power now plus
i-cat
boysen carb cover
49 toth sprocket
k@ n filter
110 gas
hinson basket, hub and pressure plate and barnett clutches and springs

i dont get it i was told by numerous people these 04 s have 51 hp stock any input

Fuel most likely cost you 2 hp, you don't need 110 octane, 91 works fine.

U-4 may have given you a couple more.

• dwnlowx

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:19 PM

So The 51 Hp Is Not True

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:23 PM

"When a Dyno passes me in the desert, thats when I'll worry about Dyno #'s"

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:32 PM

"When a Dyno passes me in the desert, thats when I'll worry about Dyno #'s"

:cheers:

It's always been my impression that the power now loses top end power simply because it is in the way and slows air flow at wot.

the icat may also limit wot power.

• Butta

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Fuel most likely cost you 2 hp, you don't need 110 octane, 91 works fine.

U-4 may have given you a couple more.

I agree. I would like to see what you'd get with the same setup and environmentals, but run 91 (or 93, pump premium) instead of the 110. My guess is that you were spitting unburned fuel out the exhaust.....

• dwnlowx

Posted November 08, 2006 - 10:17 PM

Im Gonna Have Them Re Run It Has Any One Else Dynoed There 450

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Whoever that was, I wouldn't pay them much attention anymore. Every chart I've seen on a stock '04 showed numbers like 47.5. The best I've seen with a complete FMF system with the PowerBomb was 49.5.

Your pipe is the only mod you listed that would add any power at full throttle. I'd say you did fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chazlom

Posted November 08, 2006 - 10:26 PM

Desert Devil 450f has a great point, its not always HP that makes a difference.
If I had all the money and time back I had spent on my 450yz I could have paid for and built two other bikes by now, but the experience and education I have had is priceless. Meaning.... I spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars looking for that extra one or two HP out of my engine, only to have a lighter guy spank me up the Olds at Glamis every time. I raced my bike from SRA to Adelanto GP in So CAL for four years, experimented with every combination of pipe, CC, cam, carb, fuel, flywheel weight and patience. When it comes right down to it you’re splitting hairs, I can honestly say my “bike” didn’t make me a better rider . Yes my bike was badass, but was it really as good as any other bike coming off the showroom floor by any other manufacture in 06.....No. Believe me, I'm the guy that always has to find something to fix on a bike, I disassembled my new 06 to the frame, just to check every nut and bolt (well I did powder coat the frame, do the suspension and put a new graphic/background kit as well).
My point is, if any,........ Put on your aftermarket pipe, dial-in your jetting and RIDE:ride: Spend your money on suspension, entry fees, and family. You’ll get more bang for your buck!
Hope this helps, and good luck.

Chazlom

• FFRacing79

Posted November 08, 2006 - 11:52 PM

Whoever that was, I wouldn't pay them much attention anymore. Every chart I've seen on a stock '04 showed numbers like 47.5. The best I've seen with a complete FMF system with the PowerBomb was 49.5.

Your pipe is the only mod you listed that would add any power at full throttle. I'd say you did fine.

FWIW I concur LOL

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 09, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Where are you getting the 51 hp figure? at the engine or REAR wheel?

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2006 - 09:15 AM

FWIW I concur LOL

It should be worth quite a bit, I would think. :cheers:

• kawirider

Posted November 09, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but, isnt the megabomb a supercross oriented header?

• dubious

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:37 PM

No 2 dyno's read the same.
No 2 days are ever the same...
meaning dyno calibration, tire pressure, tire slip, frictional drive train losses(oring vs non oring) barometric pressure, altitude, humidity.........

which ever way you look at it.... 3 HP is moot unless the runs are back to back on the same dynometer!

If you want it to pull harder, go up 2 teeth on the rear sproket... you'll feel that more than the pipe.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2006 - 11:42 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but, isnt the megabomb a supercross oriented header?

The RPM range that an exhaust system is effective in is affected a lot by its length. The idea of the Powerbomb and Megabomb headers is to fool the engine into seeing the header as having a variable, or undefined length, and the effect of that is to broaden the engine's power curve, extending it at both ends, while not being sharply focused on any one point. As a result, the systems with 'Bombs in them often don't make quite as much power as those without them, but they make a very broad usable power that is very likable.

• flintlock28

Posted November 11, 2006 - 05:18 PM

I agree with one of the earlier poster's, try using 91 or 92 octane, instead of the fuel you used. Motocross Action Magazine, stated that they got LOWER dyno figures with 100 or more octane, compared to 91 or 92.

• FFRacing79

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:42 PM

No 2 dyno's read the same.
No 2 days are ever the same...
meaning dyno calibration, tire pressure, tire slip, frictional drive train losses(oring vs non oring) barometric pressure, altitude, humidity.........

which ever way you look at it.... 3 HP is moot unless the runs are back to back on the same dynometer!

Not entirely true...
Same type of dyno(ie. Dynojet 250i), results should be very close IF the same correction factor is used and the operators use similar procedures. By proper procedures I mean if repeated runs are made till factors are equalized. Sometimes it might take 4-8 runs before results repeat. Tire temps, chain temps, engine temps, etc...
Example...my runs in Mich. or Tenn. can easily be duplicated by Burned(Eddie) in Colorado with an equal bike with similar procedures. That is the advantage of the DynoJet.
A post earlier about modifying the silencer on a 150R showed different graphs numbered consecutively...not very accurate at all. By repeating runs till the graph repeats itself, it eliminates many of the variables. The Dyno can be a very useful tool if used properly Tdub

• FFRacing79

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:44 PM

I agree with one of the earlier poster's, try using 91 or 92 octane, instead of the fuel you used. Motocross Action Magazine, stated that they got LOWER dyno figures with 100 or more octane, compared to 91 or 92.

The basic rule of thumb is your motor will make it's best HP and TQ with the lowest octane that it can survive(not blow up LOL)on. This is a very simplistic rule as many other fuel factors play into it. Tdub

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.