Pic's of skid plates

16 replies to this topic
  • youngr24

Posted November 08, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Im looking to put a Utah sport skid plate on my 06 yz450 and wanted to see some pic's befor I order it.
thanks for the help:thumbsup:

• kyle450rider

Posted November 08, 2006 - 04:42 PM

http://www.rockymoun...o#vehicleSelect
the top is link to there skid plate.
http://www.rockymoun...90&navType=type
Here is there glide plate,hope that helps you out.

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 08, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Here it is with holes drilled to cut down on engine noise deflection.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hey look! It fell over. :cheers:

The holes don't make it any heavier, either. Nice work.

• youngr24

Posted November 08, 2006 - 05:32 PM

do the holes knock down that much noise. Is it worth the time to drill the holes before I mount it. And is that a 18" wheel on your bike

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 08, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Yeah I run a 120/100/18 rear. I feel 18in rear is a must for any off road bike. When I first put the plate on without the holes, the engine noise was deflected straight up into my helmet. Very annoying and distracting. So I drilled the holes, and placed foam between the motor, and plate. The noise is all but eliminated now, and the plate is very tough. I race Enduro's, Hare & Hounds, etc. and it has saved me from some very hard rock strikes. :cheers:

• fastbyfrank

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:04 PM

hi i am using the devol engineering skid plate on my 06 yz450f.
i used black rtv silicone between the frame rails and the skid plate and it also reduced the noise.
i also noticed when i tighten or loosen the skid plate mounting bolts the sound (frequency) changes. kinda wierd.
my question is why would drilling holes quiten the skid plate down?
i can see why the silicone would work because it cushions the skidplate and dampens the vibrations.
i also siliconed the spacer washers to the bike frame so i would not have to juggle them when installing the skid plate.

• jbrooks26

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Drilling the holes allows the sound to travel through the skid plate rather than bouncing back up toward the rider. This has very little to do with vibration, that would be a whole other noise. These motors make sort of a tractor sound at lower RPM and that is the noise that people are trying to cut down on. Hope this helps.

Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThompsonV311

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:50 PM

I also put 1 inch wide strips of 1/8 thick rubber between the frame and plate, so vibration is not a factor. It is the engine noise that was deflected upwards. Like jbrooks said the holes break up the soundwaves, and allow them to travel through, instead of bouncing up into your helmet. With the holes, rubber strips, and foam you can't tell the difference in the plate being on or off. It may sound like alot of work but it only took me about 45 min to complete and where I ride you can't afford not to have one.

• youngr24

Posted November 10, 2006 - 08:58 AM

what size of drill bit did you use. is that 1/2 in or is it bigger. I order my plate yesterday and it should be here by monday.

• Twistin744

Posted November 10, 2006 - 03:26 PM

I made my own skid plate!

http://i21.photobuck...4/SkidPlate.jpg

http://i21.photobuck.../SkidPlate2.jpg

http://i21.photobuck.../SkidPlate4.jpg

Powder coated it white too!

It does'nt make noise either.....:cheers:

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 10, 2006 - 03:52 PM

It certainly is umm... original looking

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 10, 2006 - 03:54 PM

what size of drill bit did you use. is that 1/2 in or is it bigger. I order my plate yesterday and it should be here by monday.

I used a 5/8 drill bit.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 10, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Desert Devil...nice lookin' bike dude!

• tnl

Posted November 10, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Im looking to put a Utah sport skid plate on my 06 yz450 and wanted to see some pic's befor I order it.
thanks for the help:thumbsup:

I purchased the T.T. skid plate which was made by Utah sports and it's great! I don't notice any noise difference with it installed though? Definately a must for any conditions. It has only been at the track for 3 hours with the plate on and has numerous scrapes and knicks on it that could of caused damage. Here's a pic. with it installed but it doesn't really show it all. Let me know if you wanna see more.http://img.photobuck...11/tnl/misc.jpg

• raistlin89

Posted November 11, 2006 - 02:02 AM

thatt yz looks very nice

• Twistin744

Posted November 11, 2006 - 06:03 AM

It certainly is umm... original looking

Well, it's made from T-6 aircraft aluminum 1/8 in. thick. The powder coat will also help protect it from dings and whoever else I run over. It weighs less than 1 pound too.

I figure, it took me about 1 hr. to fabricate.

I paid nothing for the materials, and it does a way better job than the stock plate because it covers the water pump, frame, and oil plug!

I'm pretty sure it's up to par with anything you can buy on the market that is made to take a beating......

Looks?....well....:cheers:

I don't think it's too terribly bad.

Plus I'm not really worried about looking pretty on the track. AMA sanctioned races don't give points on looks as far as I know? :p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.