XRR Airbox Cover Mod Noise Increase

14 replies to this topic
  • vaughn

Posted November 08, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Just for fun I took off my airbox cover (filter still in place) just to see how it ran before I drilled the cover with holes. While I did notice an immediate lean condition on the needle and new this was correctable, I didn't realize the intake noise would be so bad on acceleration. For you guys that have the drilled cover, do you think having the complete cover off is much louder than the modified cover (holes) is?

• eastreich

Posted November 08, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Having the complete cover off is much louder than having the holes drilled.

You can notice an increase in volume when you are at idle, but as soon as you get moving it is unnoticable. What is noticable is when you don't have the cover modified (if you need it). You can tell when the motor needs more air than it can get and begins to collapse the air boot by your right leg!! It will give you the feeling that the bike is just slowing down when you get way up in revs under a load.

If you don't have the bike really opened up (cam, pipe, etc...) you won't really see any difference in how the bike runs between the holes or not. You will see a difference in how fast you can dirty a filter, however!!!

• frankstr

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Yes, It is louder with the cover off ...My modified cover does not bother me noise wise at all........

:cheers: :p

• LandSharkGT

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:42 PM

How much will this airbox mod lean out the mix on an older XL/XR 600R I already have the Uni-Filter in there too!

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:50 PM

When you guys drill or cut the holes do you install some kinda of mesh or screen to help with keeping dirt, bugs and critters out the airbox?

• frankstr

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Welcome to TT, BRPXL600R :crazy: Toooo Funny..
Bill, Check out my garage pics..I used Uni mini vents or sumthin like that..
Worked great for me.......:cheers:

:p :bonk:

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Thanx I'll look and I think I know what you are talking about I seen them in TT Store.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vaughn

Posted November 09, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Check out my garage pics..

I don't think there is a "My Garage" anymore. At least I don't see one. How about posting a pic with the Uni-vents?

• rdahl

Posted November 09, 2006 - 07:45 AM

I read that honda only recomends doing this mod if you run the HRC Kit. I'm running a hot cam and T-4 exhaust...do you think i'd see some gains by doing this mod?

• rmhrc630

Posted November 09, 2006 - 05:43 PM

Just for fun I took off my airbox cover (filter still in place) just to see how it ran before I drilled the cover with holes. While I did notice an immediate lean condition on the needle and new this was correctable, I didn't realize the intake noise would be so bad on acceleration. For you guys that have the drilled cover, do you think having the complete cover off is much louder than the modified cover (holes) is?

I did the XR650R mod to my XR628 and didnt notice any increase in noise.

Posted Image

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 09, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Keep in mind when you do this mod, that you have opened (literally) the bike to sucking water at a lower level than when the intake was under the seat.

Granted, most folks don't submarine their scooters, but there are times when the stock setup would be a big benefit.

This holds true even if you kill the ignition and push it thru deep water. It'll still get in easier, and more of it, if you drill the side cover. (Not that it was watertight as stock, just more than a gaping hole)

On the flipside, I love the sound of a growling intake. :cheers:

• KShow

Posted November 09, 2006 - 09:11 PM

Anyone who does this mod might want to check out the SLP Florites, They are extremely popular with snowmobilers,, lets air pass through easily,, but wont let snow or water droplets get in. Probably wouldnt help for a prolonged submarine,, but would keep splashes and mud out.

http://www.slp.cc/ca...1&productID=356

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 09, 2006 - 11:53 PM

kool looking product, I like the concept and yes might not help with submergance.

• eastreich

Posted November 10, 2006 - 06:17 AM

One thing of note about the SLP Flow-Rites is that they are designed for sled use, i.e. NO DUST. A couple of my buddies have them on their sleds and I would NOT recommend trying to use them on a bike. They are somewhat water proof, but they are just a fine 'coated' cloth type of material. I doubt that they would hold up to even the slightest bit of wear from a leg rubbing up against them (as used in a side panel) or from exposure to large quantities of terra firma.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 10, 2006 - 06:44 AM

One thing of note about the SLP Flow-Rites is that they are designed for sled use, i.e. NO DUST. A couple of my buddies have them on their sleds and I would NOT recommend trying to use them on a bike. They are somewhat water proof, but they are just a fine 'coated' cloth type of material. I doubt that they would hold up to even the slightest bit of wear from a leg rubbing up against them (as used in a side panel) or from exposure to large quantities of terra firma.

Put some window screen over it, maybe?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.