Clutch Cable $*#&@

6 replies to this topic
  • jonova

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:08 AM

I have a 2001 426 and have been breaking clutch cables. It also seams that with the pertch I have, Moose, that my clutch pull is also very high. I have stock spings and a hinson basket with stock plates.

What clutch perches are you guys running?

Which have you tried and what don't you like?

Do you think OEM cables are better than motion pros?

And don't say just get a hydraulic...

• GCannon

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Does the clutch cable break in tha same place always? If so which end?

• jonova

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:31 AM

It breaks at the pertch end right at the barrel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonova

Posted November 09, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Do the AVS levers give any mechanical advantage to clutch pull?

• trikeflyer

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:05 PM

If you lube your cables dont, Oil will attract dirt they will last forever if you dont lube them

• Desracer

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Somethings wrong! The clutch pull should be easy. Motion pro cables are better than stock for your year of bike. I ran a Honda lever and perch on my old Yamie for an easier pull and feel. You can but a good after market lever assy for about $30.00. Was the lever ever replaced? and does it match the perch? With the cable unhooked at both ends does the cable slide in the housing smooth?

• ADVnaut

Posted November 09, 2006 - 10:34 PM

You can lube with graphite that will not attract dirt, but you will have to have the cable off and make a big mess to get it down where it needs to be. Lockease graphite solution is liquid to penetrate and run down the cable, then dries leaving the powder in to lubricate.

If I remember the ASV's don't really offer any more leverage. Just the swing back and adjustability. It sounds like it might be your perches though if they are breaking in the same place. Do they cause a bend when you pull the lever? Mine comes pretty much straight out without hitting the lever or perch anywhere. Good Luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.