clutch question

13 replies to this topic
  • saintvice

Posted November 08, 2006 - 03:25 AM

i am having a tough time with my clutch.. i am going out to look for another clutch lever to help with maybe the pivot angle.. will probably also change the clutch cable just incase there is a problem there. but one thing i would like to know.. the part that comes out of the engine.. the actuator arm<is that right?> can u pull/push it with ur thumb?

thanx

• frankstr

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:13 AM

saintvice, What bike are you working on

With that said, Welcome to Thumpertalk........

:cheers: :p

• saintvice

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:47 AM

thanks,
working on a honda xr600 1998 or 99 not very sure.. lol.. will get the vin tonight and place it on so someone can tell me what year it is.

• saintvice

Posted November 08, 2006 - 11:01 AM

k i got the vin jh2pe4b8wk30014 hope someone can crack the code and let me know what it is i have :cheers:

• cleonard

Posted November 08, 2006 - 02:18 PM

i am having a tough time with my clutch.. i am going out to look for another clutch lever to help with maybe the pivot angle.. will probably also change the clutch cable just incase there is a problem there. but one thing i would like to know.. the part that comes out of the engine.. the actuator arm<is that right?> can u pull/push it with ur thumb?

thanx

To move the arm on the engine would take a lot of strength. I can't do it. It takes a thumb of steel.

There is a thing called an "easy clutch" or something that is a little gizmo that uses a lever to trade clutch travel for leverage.

• eastreich

Posted November 08, 2006 - 03:37 PM

The easy clutch is a great option for you saintvince, but I don't know how easy it is for you to get one of those in Ghana! The easy clutch does give you an easier pull, I used them on my KX500s for years.

You may want to try a Yamaha XT350 perch and lever. This lever assembly is extra long and may provide a little more leverage for you. It may also be a little easier for you to find over there in Africa!

And also for the record, I have never been able to more the lever down on the cases with my fingers, either.

• saintvice

Posted November 09, 2006 - 06:27 AM

thanky you for the info.. how about adding a kind of extra length to the arm down near the engine..? kind of an extension? just a thought.. will go looking for the yamaha xt350 u mentioned.. :cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted November 09, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Lengthing the arm down on the engine is also another viable option. Adding length to the lever does makes it easier to pull up top.

If you do add more length, be sure to make sure that you don't go to far. It is possible to make the arm throw long enough that the clutch lever on the bar can't pull the arm far enough to fully engage the clutch.

• saintvice

Posted November 09, 2006 - 08:40 AM

any luck finding out the year of make from the vin?

• sorenlaf

Posted November 09, 2006 - 09:42 AM

thanx

Start with either lubing (pressure lube widgit that clamps to the cable and connects to an aerosol can of lube - $15 or so at any accessory store) the cable, or better yet replacing it.

If that is not good enough, then look into other levers, pivot points, etc.

I think that every time I've had a problem with a cable actuated part of a motorcycle, replacing the cable has fixed the problem.

No, you will not be able to move the lever on the engine with your thumb - or if you can, you've got a hell of a thumb!

• xr500_89

Posted November 09, 2006 - 02:46 PM

i can move that clutch lever on the motor but man it leaves an impression of your tumb last time i did it my thumb slipped and i ripped off a finger nail but my opinion is get a magura "jack" clutch the one for KX250 will fit that bike i got one on mine one of the best improvments ever call they guy tell him the spacing he'll help you out

• saintvice

Posted November 13, 2006 - 01:08 AM

i put in a new clutch cable and it seems much much better. still havent ridden it.. maybe this weekend... i want the bike to heat up and see if it changes.

• Hare

Posted November 13, 2006 - 12:59 PM

Clutches are pretty tough on the XR600s, all the years after 1992 are the same except for color so it doesn't really matter what year it is, If i get a chance i will check my honda book and tell you the year.

The most important thing with the clutch is to use the stock honda perch and lever, I am sure there are some good aftermarket ones but most are short have bad leverage and or are just junk. If the perch and lever are good then check the cable it should have no resistance or kinks, I try not to spary any oily type stuff on the cable thinking it attracts dirt, i use dry lubes only. If the cable looks good and you still have issues the clutch basket would be next, if it has a bunch of time on it the basket made be grooved by the clutch plates, like little ramps the plates have to overcome to release, if so you can either file the grooves flat or get a new basket, after all that and you still are having trouble its time to start working out more or start touching yourself

• saintvice

Posted November 14, 2006 - 12:35 AM

lol .. nice one hare.. lets keep touching myself as a last result.. thanks for the info really appreciate it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.