what does and 18 inch rear do for you?

4 replies to this topic
  • forestdog

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:43 PM

I have a 1998 yz 400 f and was wondering what kind of difference it makes and what it does.

• SRT426

Posted November 08, 2006 - 12:24 AM

18"s are good for off road riding because of the taller sidewall, it helps absorb shock better and protect the wheels. If your just running tracks then stick to the 19.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SurvivorMan

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:56 AM

I have a 19" practice wheel and then a 18" race wheel for hare scrambles and cross countries and find that the 18" is only better when sidehilling over roots or rocks. There is not a huge difference, the 19" does skip around more over small roots and rocks though. If you get a 6 ply tire like a kenda 257, you can run 8 psi and this helps absorb small bumps/hits and won't pinch flat

• skipperlantz

Posted November 12, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Because of more sidewall it makes it harder to pop tire tube. Peformance wise there's not a big difference as far as I can tell.

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Peformance wise there's not a big difference as far as I can tell.

For trail riding there probably isn't. On the track, though, you can definitely feel the extra weight of the 18" tire.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.