Sound Advice.....

27 replies to this topic
  • onecolumbyte

Posted November 08, 2006 - 02:44 PM

Intimidation sucks. The only way to avoid it is to know your rights. There is NO WAY you could get a ticket if you weren't operating your bike. If you were riding an illegal bike and got stopped and tested then you would be open to citation. If you started and ran the bike at the peace officers request you were only complying with him and any judge in the country would throw the ticket out. Problem is that wouldn't stop ranger Matt from writing a ticket. He can cite you for whatever he wants and it would be up to you to dispute it before a judge. Which would require attending a hearing in the county in which it was issued.

• Cairn

Posted November 08, 2006 - 04:35 PM

I was running a stock muffler with the insert removed this summer and was tested by a Forest Service ranger. He tested the bike at an estimated 2000 rpm; the bike was at 12,000 feet. His meter indicated 98-99 dB. He told me that the bike was not as loud as he had thought and did not give me a warning or a ticket. I have since installed a PMB insert and the bike is noticably quieter. I understand that it should now be running about 96 dB, but I have not had it retested.

Cairn

• MN_Paul

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:52 PM

It sounds like you removed the exhaust tip (4 screws holding the snorkel shaped thing?). If so, you are definately over 96 db. I have an 05 with a homemade exhaust tip, with holes and surounded with fiberglass and it just barely made the field 96db test.

Paul

• clark4131

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:58 PM

I have called the supervisor and am taking it to the next step.

Excellent. Don't roll over and stick your ass in the air. It seems this guy has been getting away with this self-righteous BS for a while, and no one has called him on it. Stick with it, and keep going up the chain until you get to the right guy. Ticketing you if the bike didn't pass without riding it would be like getting a ticket from the smog guy when your car doesn't pass an emissions test. Total crap! I feel a scissorbill rant coming on :cheers:...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnnyjeep

Posted November 08, 2006 - 09:19 PM

It sounds like you removed the exhaust tip (4 screws holding the snorkel shaped thing?). If so, you are definately over 96 db. I have an 05 with a homemade exhaust tip, with holes and surounded with fiberglass and it just barely made the field 96db test.

Paul

I removed everything from the sparky back, except the cap (sparky is still there) Am I too loud? If so, will the pmb thingy fix me? How will pmd effect my jetting? I finally got the bike running gooood!

Everyone says Im too loud, but it is quiet next to a Harley....

• Fullbore4

Posted November 08, 2006 - 11:51 PM

geese the so called "wild horse" farts where I ride are louder than a stock muffler with only the inner plug removed.

What the heck is that ranger trying to prove, the jerk? I agree he's trying to intimidate you and that you should report him.....of course, accompanied with a legitamate sound report taken on your machine.

• MN_Paul

Posted November 09, 2006 - 07:33 PM

My guess would be that you are in the 98ish range. Disclaimer (limited WR experience). I doubt that you would need to rejet with the PMB insert. Typically on a 4 stroke engine, exhaust changes only require small changes with the jetting but changes on the intake side require much bigger changes.

Paul

• XHMXR

Posted November 09, 2006 - 08:09 PM

After weeks of planning and 3+ hours od drive time my brothers and I made our trek to Stoneyford to ride for the first time. We stopped at the ranger station to get maps.....you know whats comming! He did a check on our bikes and refused to let us ride. Here are the specifics and here is where I need help.

My bike is a 2005 wr450. Motor and exhaust are stock except for the stock baffle and jetting (STOCK MUFFLER). Yamaha and every publication I have read says the wr 450 w/ baffle in is 82dba, without baffle is still well below the required 96dba. Ranger Matt said he would not let me ride and that my bike is illegle on state land. I pollitly disagreed with him and asked him to test it. He said it would not pass......BUT, if it did not pass he would write me a $175 ticket and possibly impound my bike!!! Is a stock 2005 wr450 without the baffle below 96dba????

Stock 89 dba, One tested without the plug came in at 98, another came in at 99, 2005 WR450 tested 97.2 with a Q series. These numbers came directly from the CA SVRA data list which is on the SVRA website. check it out. there are some discrepancies Like the 99 was listed as stock, but it obviously had some internals missing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.