120/90/19 series tire on an 06' 450?

5 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted November 07, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Has anyone had any luck with a 120/90/19 on the rear of a 06' YZ 450? I was looking at Maxxis' Desert IT tire and I would like to go as wide as possible especially for those nasty SoCal hillclimbs. Do the knobbies clear the swing arm? I have always run a 110, I hate to buy/mount the 120 and find out it doesn't fit.

I called numerous dealerships and some of them say it will fit and others said it won't, go figure?? Any feedback would be appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2006 - 03:33 PM

I've used the 120 IT (not the desert) on my '03 with no trouble. I don't favor the Desert IT due to its weight, but I see no reason the 120 won't fit the '06.

• aford541

Posted November 07, 2006 - 07:56 PM

Has anyone had any luck with a 120/90/19 on the rear of a 06' YZ 450? I was looking at Maxxis' Desert IT tire and I would like to go as wide as possible especially for those nasty SoCal hillclimbs. Do the knobbies clear the swing arm? I have always run a 110, I hate to buy/mount the 120 and find out it doesn't fit.

I called numerous dealerships and some of them say it will fit and others said it won't, go figure?? Any feedback would be appreciated.

It's all I run they hook up better on concrete starts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamiehughes

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:24 PM

i've got a 120 for the rear of my 06, just havn't put it on yet, do you have to take the caliper totally off of the bracket to fit the 120? the 110 seems tight as it is for clearance on the caliper, not sure if i'm gonna have any clearance problems on mine. does it ever hit your silencer?

• mxracer206

Posted November 08, 2006 - 05:15 AM

i've got a 120 for the rear of my 06, just havn't put it on yet, do you have to take the caliper totally off of the bracket to fit the 120? the 110 seems tight as it is for clearance on the caliper, not sure if i'm gonna have any clearance problems on mine. does it ever hit your silencer?

The 120 is a little tight at the caliper but you just have to slide the caliper back a little farther than normal and it will fit just fine. I am just happy that the aftermarket tire has lasted longer than the stocker, we wen't thru the stock tire in about 2 week's.

• jamiehughes

Posted November 08, 2006 - 05:23 AM

thanks for the info, i hear the 120 is the ticket, especially for tractability for better cornering.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.