XR600R stiff throttle pull problem

7 replies to this topic
  • Terez

Posted November 07, 2006 - 01:00 PM

So...

The XR600R has been around for 12 yrs or so.
There must be a solution for the ridiculous initial throttle pull!

I understand it's the slide vacuum sucking the slide against the carb body?
I can live with the throttle pull itself but the initial opening is crazy, makes it near impossible to modulate the the throttle from idle or closed.

I tried a couple oz of 2 stroke oil in the gas..couldn't feel a difference.
The cables and carb are fine.

I read somewhere that Scott Summers used a larger cable wheel on the carb to help?

The carb works well now that the pilot and main is jetted right.
I don't want to have to buy a crab just to fix this prob?

Any ideas?

• LeadDoggy

Posted November 07, 2006 - 01:28 PM

My 97 has the same problem but does not bother me on the trail. I just stab the throttle then back off a bit.....

• rmhrc630

Posted November 07, 2006 - 01:42 PM

I now run a FCRMX on my 2000 model XR600. First ride on the weekend with new carb.

My findings were:

1. Absolute insanely light throttle pull. The FCR combined with CRF throttle tube and cables make the throttle easy to use

2. Absolutely no cough stall. I dont know how many times I could go into turns, in 3rd gear and just lug it out from zero revs. The FCR is just so smooth. The ability to let the revs drop far more than the stock pos carb makes the powerband mush wider.

• creeky

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:13 PM

Your are correct about the vacuum holding the slide against the carb body. When the throttle is at idle position, you keep twisting and all of sudden, the slide snaps open when the vacuum is overcome. I have had moderate success by adding a couple oz. two-stroke oil to each of gallon of gas, provides a little lube for the slide and makes it easier to modulate. I've been running Edelbrocks on 600s for about 7 years, completely eliminates the cough/stall problem, no flooding when you drop the bike, better throttle response everywhere, better gas mileage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terez

Posted November 08, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Which Edlebrock carb?
The older nonpumper style I assume?
Edlebrock now makes a pumper style carb right?

If I go to the trouble and $$ of a carb swap I should go with a pumper carb?

The Flatslide Pumper on my DRZ400E is sure a great carb.

So basically just have to live with the stock XR carb then?

• creeky

Posted November 08, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Which Edlebrock carb?
The older nonpumper style I assume?
Edlebrock now makes a pumper style carb right?

?

The last 600 I had was equipped with an Edelbrock pumper, the others were the old style without the pump. I still have the first non-pumper that I bought, it is currently on my '00 WR400. If you are interested, check out www.barnumspro.com and check out E-Bay, the Edelbrock on my '01 XR400 was bought on E-Bay, a little cheaper than Barnums. Barnums has the advantage of tech support if you need it.

• Terez

Posted November 08, 2006 - 04:43 PM

So how does the Edlebrock non pumper carb work?
Does it solve the throttle pull problem?
How does it carburete?

I assume the pumper is superior in low end power and throttle response?

• creeky

Posted November 08, 2006 - 05:58 PM

So how does the Edlebrock non pumper carb work?
Does it solve the throttle pull problem?
How does it carburete?

I assume the pumper is superior in low end power and throttle response?

The non-pumper is the same basic design as the pumper, no pump, I don't think they are available any longer. Ironically, Edelbrock's advertising for the original Quicksilver non-pumper stated that the superior design of the carb made an accelerator pump uneccesary, now they all have a pump. They do solve the throttle pull problem. Yes, the pumper is superior to the old design in low speed throttle response.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.