Better seat for longer rides-XR650R

5 replies to this topic
  • hypersthenos

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:14 AM

Okay I'm fixing to get a GUTS tall soft foam & cover for my pig hoping it's the proper setup for that price range. Don't have the dough for a custom job. My concern is that I like the height of the stock setup (5'10" with 32" inseam). I'm hoping that the soft foam will compress to something close to the stock setup with my butt in place. Is the guts setup wider for more comfort? Looking for something that will be tolerable for all day dual sport rides. Anyone out there got any input? Thanks in advance.

• pburke

Posted November 07, 2006 - 03:07 PM

make sure you get a power staple gun. I just did the tall soft conversion on mine and even though I used a heavy duty stapler, getting the stuff to go into the plastic takes some serious press/push effort. At least have a helper.

How's the thing work? It is taller than stock, but softer. Still reach the ground like before with my feet, but the seat is somewhat softer/wider. Have not put a lot of miles on it to actually be able to say it's better than stock, but it really should be. I am 6"2 with 34" inseam and am totally flat-footing my bike with that seat, however, I think I may have a little too much sag in the back.

• hypersthenos

Posted November 08, 2006 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Pburke. I guess I'll take the plunge & try the Guts setup. BTW I've found that heating the seat base with a heat gun makes stapling much easier. Still requires more than the average stapler but allows the staples to fully seat. Appreciate your input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pburke

Posted November 10, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Thanks Pburke. I guess I'll take the plunge & try the Guts setup. BTW I've found that heating the seat base with a heat gun makes stapling much easier. Still requires more than the average stapler but allows the staples to fully seat. Appreciate your input.

I'll have to redo the cover so I'll try the heat gun (have only a hair dryer, but that'll be pretty hot as well). One thing I wanted to add is that for short folks the actual "getting the leg across the seat" height is definitely increased. It only compresses down to about normal height when you sit on it. The seat is not wider than stock until you actually put your weight on it and all that extra foam gets a little spread out to the sides.

Peter

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 10, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Okay I'm fixing to get...

Come on, hyper, they don't realy say "fixing to get..." in Washington state, do they? You musta picked that up, growing up in the South. Whar-bouts? (I grew up in Taxes).

Anyway--on post--I'm also fixing to get that exact same setup. What I was planning though was to step-down the foam a bit, maybe an inch or so in the front. My. Main reason for stepping it is to give a bit wider seating surface for my poor butt.

I figger if I step a tall-soft seat foam an inch I should wind up with a stock height--only wider, by maybe an inch, inch and a half. That's my plan anyway. (Come to think of it, if I step it down I probably should go with a tall-regular, instead of a tall-soft...)

Anyway, for your purposes this would also give you a bit lower seat height. You might want to consider that, when you get ready to install it.

:cheers:

• hypersthenos

Posted November 11, 2006 - 12:25 AM

Sounds like a good idea there InternalCombustion. I think I'll stick with the tall, soft foam & try it as is & modify later if needed. I'll let you know how it works if mine's done first. BTW I grew up right here in "Warshington". Guess I've watched "Ol' Yeller" a few too many times.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.