05 slow starter on the button

10 replies to this topic
  • Pete Thomo

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi lads
my 05 wr450 is a great starter hot or cold on the kick but thumb the button and it struggles but will eventually fire thing is my mates 03 seems to turn over much faster and fires staight away any ideas:cry:

• hotthrottle613

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:56 AM

Go to www.thumperfaq.com and look up .79 cent clutch fix.

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 07, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hi lads
my 05 wr450 is a great starter hot or cold on the kick but thumb the button and it struggles but will eventually fire thing is my mates 03 seems to turn over much faster and fires staight away any ideas:cry:

OK, I am no expert. I am just conveying what I have read on this forum over the last year.

First question is how well your battery is charged. It wouldn't hurt to put it on a battery tender overnight to see if that makes any difference.

The next thing may be jetting. Perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about could come forward with some specific recommendations. This may expain why your buddies bike starts easier than yours.

I was also going to mention the clutch, but someone already beat me to it.

• Pete Thomo

Posted November 07, 2006 - 10:17 AM

There is no problem with selecting gears and getting neutral ill try the battery then the 6mm washers in the clutch the jetting seems fine starts great on the kick all the time
thanks all
thomo

• old man dan

Posted November 07, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Do you have the stock cams or have you changed to Hotcams or YZ cams. They seem to be more reluctant starters (on E-start) with anything but the WR cams. Check the valve clearance, hard starting is one of the first signs that the clearances are tightening up, also if the idle is set too high (or low) it seems to make a difference. Kicking spins the engine over a bit faster so they start more readily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pete Thomo

Posted November 07, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for your help yes all standard cams and its only done 600miles thing is my mates 03 seems to spin faster than mine if i could get it to spin that bit faster i know it will start(should i say think)

• Beejay

Posted November 07, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Had a similar problem with mine, solved after charging the battery.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:06 AM

When cold, my bike is a real b!tch to start in gear. Even the starter turns slow.

However, with the bike in neutral, it fires up pretty quickly, even when cold. With the bike in neutral, you can even kick it easily.

Does your starter turn slow even when the bike is in neutral.

• TheCure

Posted November 08, 2006 - 09:16 AM

2 questions on battery management.

1. Can I use the battery tender while the battery is still in the bike and connected?

2. Will the generator on the bike eventually charge the battery up properly over time with usage? ie riding.

My bike sat for about 8 months and it cranks slowly also. It starts right up with the kickstarter.

....and i recall a thread about a LIGHTer battery. I can't find it tho.:cheers:

• Audun

Posted November 09, 2006 - 02:35 AM

Ive changed oil yesterday.. Went for 10W-50 to 25W-50.. Had trouble starting it this morning, yesterday it fired at the first rev! Had the same trouble last winter with my `berg with thick oil to! So Im going back to an thinner oil.. its worth checking if you are running the same oil, and possibly changing to a oil that flows easier when cold.

• Pete Thomo

Posted November 10, 2006 - 02:16 AM

Yes mate out of gear slow in gear slower

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.