hot cam into 426

9 replies to this topic
  • muffinman

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:34 PM

does the hot cam fit straight into the yzf 426, can you use the stock chain etc. or are there any other changes. Live in Perth australia and my yamaha dealer tells me the yzf 450 cam, auto decomp doesnt fit,seen the hot cam in posts and was wondering if a straight swap. my bikes a 2001 model. if anyone can help would be appretiated

• martybec

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:00 PM

I put a hot cams 450 in my 426 and used the stock chain. Set your intake cam straight up (dots lined up stock) then count 14 pins in between the intake and exhaust cams. You will need to reshim your exhaust cam to get the clearance right. I left my decomp lever in, just in case.

• jbrooks26

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I put a hot cams 450 in my 426 and used the stock chain. Set your intake cam straight up (dots lined up stock) then count 14 pins in between the intake and exhaust cams. You will need to reshim your exhaust cam to get the clearance right. I left my decomp lever in, just in case.

DO NOT COUNT PINS WITH THE HOTCAMS!!!! If you are using a hotcams cam then you need to use the timing marks on the cam gear to time the cam. They are specially indexed at the factory, if you follow your manual for timing then you will be fine with the hotcam. If you want to use the YZ cam from the 450 then you will want to count 14 pins, and it will work just fine. Many, many people here have put a 450 cam into a 400 or 426 head with no problems reported in the past several years. The YZ cam will be much cheaper and you can save even more if you order it from OEM TT Store. Hope this helps, and remember not to count pins with the hotcams.

Josh

• muffinman

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:32 PM

thanks guys, performance wise how do the two cams compare

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2006 - 09:24 PM

Your dealer is wrong, the OEM YZ459 cam does fit, but it must be timed according to special instructions. If you use the Hot Cams part instead, what jbrooks told you is correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Florida_426

Posted November 07, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Been running an 03 450DCM since 2003 in my 02 426. Regular valve lash checks and examination of the timing chain with no problems. All under racing in MX track conditions. Nothing wrong with Hot Cams It just wasn't available when I did the swap. Good thread sitckied at the top of this forum. Satch helped me with some instructions that were posted and a quick email.

Bill

• yama426rider

Posted November 07, 2006 - 07:25 PM

what do you guys mean by counting pins between them?

• jbrooks26

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:21 PM

I am going to send you a PM on this because I don't want to confuse the current issue in this post. Please check your PM's.

Josh

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:05 PM

Since the Hot Cams part was made for a 426 head, the factory timing marks work just like the procedure in the manual.

The YZ450 cam was built to be timed in a differently laid out head, so the timing marks don't match up. In that case, you have to get the timing right on the intake cam first, and count pins on th timing chain between two marks on the two cam sprockets. That's part of the special instructions I mentioned earlier.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:50 PM

thanks guys, performance wise how do the two cams compare

I put the Hotcams in my '02 (exhaust only) and immediately noticed an increase in power in the low to mid RPMs and no noticable change in the top end. Basically it smoothed out the power delivery making the bike faster and even more rideable than it already was.

All that aside I was just so happy to not have to fiddle around with the decompression lever anymore that I would not have cared if there were no change in the power. Also, now when coming hard into a corner if you happen to stall it out it will fire right back up on it's own without you having to try to modulate the decomp lever while bouncing over braking bumps.

Good luck with the mod...it's easy and it's the best one you can do to that bike and you will love it!
:mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.