XR650L Jetting Question/Problem

8 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted November 06, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hey Guys

I did all the Daves carb mods, desmogged, desnorkeled, uni airfilter, etc.... but running the stock pipe!

Per the standard recommendations I am running 55/160 jets with the needle shimmed about .015 and the mix screw 2 1/2 turns out!

It is MUCH nice then stock but it is still running a bit rich and i am getting some smoke on decel.

What should i try first? Switching to 55/158? Is there that much of a difference between a 158 and a 160? Removing 1 of the 2 shims from the needle? Messing with the fuel mix screw?

Any advice would be awesome

:mad:

Thanks

• goblin127

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hey Guys

I did all the Daves carb mods, desmogged, desnorkeled, uni airfilter, etc.... but running the stock pipe!

Per the standard recommendations I am running 55/160 jets with the needle shimmed about .015 and the mix screw 2 1/2 turns out!

It is MUCH nice then stock but it is still running a bit rich and i am getting some smoke on decel.

What should i try first? Switching to 55/158? Is there that much of a difference between a 158 and a 160? Removing 1 of the 2 shims from the needle? Messing with the fuel mix screw?

Any advice would be awesome

:mad:

Thanks

Most of us used 55/158 with the needle shimmed .025 to .030 so with the larger main but the shimmed needle less I would think you would be in the ball park. Try going to the 158.

• Boston Mangler

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Most of us used 55/158 with the needle shimmed .025 to .030 so with the larger main but the shimmed needle less I would think you would be in the ball park. Try going to the 158.

Thanks, i wish i had a set of calipers to measure the washers! :mad:

I just installed a 158 jet in place of the 160 and removed one of the 2 washers, i will bring it for a ride tomorrow after work and see what happens!

• Boston Mangler

Posted November 07, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Ok, took it for a good ride tonight after work. Not much change in performance but my buddy says that it is blowing much less smoke on decel.

Anyone got any idea wasup?

Also, i am noticing a little "seepage" coming from the carb vent hose after i ride it hard and then let it sit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LandSharkGT

Posted November 07, 2006 - 07:55 PM

Sounds like you might have bumped the floats if you are getting raw fuel from the carb vent or overflow. You might have raised them just a tad which would give you a slight rich mix as the floats are set too high causing your carb to flood a slight bit.

• Boston Mangler

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like you might have bumped the floats if you are getting raw fuel from the carb vent or overflow. You might have raised them just a tad which would give you a slight rich mix as the floats are set too high causing your carb to flood a slight bit.

Thanks, how would i check this? It does feel like its flooding a slight bit now that you mention this.

Care to elaborate on what on the floats would i have "bumped"? Bumped meaning bent?

Thanks

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:44 AM

To check the 'actual' float level, you can remove the hose from the bottom of the carb, replace it with a piece of clear tubing that you hold curving up above the level of the carb, and then open the bowl drain screw.
The fuel level in the hose will be the same as the level in the carb.

You can do the same with a piece of opaque hose, but you have to lower the hose end until gas comes out to find the level.

The proper level is slightly below the point where the bowl mounts.

Dave

• scoobymac2

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:43 AM

does anybody know what the stock carb is on a 07 xr650l? mikunki???

• Motosprtman

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:49 AM

Ya know, I did the same thing with my XR650L at first, but went with a White Brothers E2 pipe and it made all of the difference. That and I used the DJ kit, needle and 165 main with a 55 pilot 2 1/2 turns on the old air fuel screw, and WOW crisp clean throttle response, cold idle, easy cold starts, no popping back on decel at all. It is in the "Sweet spot" :-)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.