Baja 1000 and the BRP - XR650R

82 replies to this topic
  • JackAttack

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:09 AM

Unless someone comes up with a reliable kit to bore and stroke a 450x to a 550 or so to match the 540 kit for the KTM.

That is most likely what team Honda is running right now. Probably a 570 or even the infamous CRF600 motor in that 450 frame.

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:10 AM

My estimation of things...
Johnny C. didn't have anything to do with not racing a 650R. I'm betting it was a Japan decision, not corporate America.
I bet they were 100% ready to prep an R and an X up 'till the last minute.
I can totally see why they'd do it (race the X) seeing that they do not have stiff competition from another brand. They have super reliable and super fast X's and they know they can still go 1-2 OA.
They have the right to be confident, they're good at this, and Baja racing is super important to Japan.
They'll put to rest the reliability issues talk (or at least make the talk really interesting).

And what IF at the last minute (meaning a month ago) there ended up being a team entered that could give 'em a run for 1st? Precision Concepts could build a 650R OA bike in 2 days for the 1x Henge/Cody/Childress team.
Then they'd leave the 6x Bell/Norman/JC team on an X.
They'd easily have any other brand with any riders covered that way.

The forecast I see is 6x taking the OA with 1x a close 2nd, both 450x's.
I'll be eating my words of a few months ago when I said "a 650r will win it OA".

Of our 4-rider team on the 650R #307x we have 3 guys who've Finished 2nd OA in SCORE Baja events and 1 guy who's got a 3rd OA to his name.
We're older and slower and not as preparred as the Team Honda guys.... but we're on a bike we believe in and we like.
I'm not being negitive, just realistic, as this will be my 20th Baja 1000 and know how things go down there.
Let's hope for a clean trouble free ride!

Tim

The more I think about it, you're probably right, Tim. It was probably a "Head Office" decision to run the 450x. We'll soon know if it was a sound decision. No doubt the rags will pick up the real story and we'll be reading it next month.

Re "older and slower", sometimes older is better and slower is faster. :mad:

• motochris

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:12 AM

COVERAGE OF 2006 SCORE BAJA 1000 GOES GLOBAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORTLAND, Maine, November 06, 2006--- The 2006 SCORE Baja 1000 is scheduled to air on NBC Sports on December 10 at 2:30 pm ET. Produced by Aura360, the one-hour special hosted by emmy-award winner sportscaster Al Trautwig will feature point-to-point coverage of this infamous off-road race. Multiple camera crews and Wescam equipped helicopters will follow racers from the starting point in Ensenada to the finish in La Paz, 1047.8 miles away. The 2006 SCORE Baja 1000 program will be also distributed throughout the world through ESPN International’s networks in Latin America, the Caribbean Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Africa, Middle East, and Israel and syndicated world-wide.

In addition to the expanded distribution of the race, Aura360 announced the inclusion of several new media sponsors including Micron Technologies, Sony Playstation, Red Bull, Garmin, BF Goodrich Tires and Honda Motorcycles.

“The Baja 1000’s growing list of marketing partners has helped us drive the SCORE Baja 1000 property to a global stage. With media partners NBC Sports and ESPN International, we’ve developed a comprehensive world-wide television package. This year will also mark the enhanced accessibility of content online and through other multi-media opportunities,” said Rufus Frost, co-founder of Aura360.

This year, Micron Technologies sponsored four vehicles specially equipped with Micron DigitalClarity image sensors and Lexar Professional CompactFlash memory cards to capture and store video of the more than 1,000 mile race. This will mark the first time in the race’s history when every moment of a team’s participation in the SCORE Baja 1000 will be digitally captured. Footage from in-car cameras of the Micron team will be incorporated into the special broadcast on NBC Sports and ESPN International.

Baja 1000 fans will be able to view additional unreleased footage of the race on the Internet at www.thebajaunlimited.com and on the official SCORE Baja1000 DVD to be released via the website within a month of the broadcast. The recently expanded website will include an interactive map of the 1000 mile course and special content from Red Bull and other sponsors.

2006 SCORE Broadcast Schedule on NBC Sports
• SCORE Baja 500 - December 2, 2:00 – 3:00 pm ET
• SCORE Baja 1000 – December 10, 2:30 – 3:30 pm ET

• dino2000

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:14 AM

The 450X, just like the early 650r (2000), is not an unproven commodity. Wins this year at San Felipe and the 500 prove it to be worthy. Can't help but think the 1000 will present an all together different challenge. That's an awful lot of WFO for a bike carring only just over one quart of oil.
That said, a friend of mine and I are planning on racing our first 500 next June on the 650. We considered the 450X, but three bikes seemed a little spendy when we already have 3 650s.
The 650 is easy to set up, fairly inexpensive(if you care to keep it that way) and really farmiliar to us.
Godspeed to the 307x, I'll be roadside in San Felipe watchin' for ya
Chau, dino

• motochris

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:19 AM

. BTW when is the Baja 1000?

Here's more info than you probably want to know.... http://www.race-deze...ead.php?t=23102

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:19 AM

Godspeed to the 307x, I'll be roadside in San Felipe watchin' for ya

Isn't "Godspeed" just used when someones dies? Really, i do not know for sure. If so, any possibility of changing your wording?
I'm fairly superstitious.

• cubera

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:28 AM

That is most likely what team Honda is running right now. Probably a 570 or even the infamous CRF600 motor in that 450 frame.

Not true. The 450X motor is not too far from stock really:ride:

• cubera

Posted November 07, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Isn't "Godspeed" just used when someones dies? Really, i do not know for sure. If so, any possibility of changing your wording?
I'm fairly superstitious.

Tim: It is a well wishing phrase like a prayer for you. Is is something like "Fair winds and following seas". Anyway, I too wish you and your team success. You guys are the best!:mad:

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 07, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Hats off to you again InternalCombustion. A man who puts his money where his mouth is. Wish I lived closer. I'd drive a few hours just to have a cup of coffee & check out that wiring job. BTW when is the Baja 1000?

Hey, I'm just a short (4-day!) ride from you and the coffee pot's always on. You're welcome anytime.:mad:

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Tim: It is a well wishing phrase like a prayer for you. Is is something like "Fair winds and following seas". Anyway, I too wish you and your team success. You guys are the best!:mad:

Amen and Godspeed, brothers!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:23 PM

Here's more info than you probably want to know.... http://www.race-deze...ead.php?t=23102

Re "Baja info", too much is probably just right. I'm also gonna track "easy Baja 1000 questions" in the International forum, thanks!

Also, motochris, did I read correctly elsewhere that you're gonna be wringing out #304x in The Race? If so, Godspeed to you, Brother!:mad:

• dino2000

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:23 PM

IC, r u coming all the way from Penn. to race this thing? You are the man! I thought Nor-Cal was a logistic nightmare. Good on ya man!

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:28 PM

IC, r u coming all the way from Penn. to race this thing? You are the man! I thought Nor-Cal was a logistic nightmare. Good on ya man!

Hoo-mama! I WISH I was coming all the way from PA, to race The Race!!

Naw, not THIS year anyway. Me, I'm just a old-fart poser.

PS: Ole Sal, he's smart, setting up Class 60. Class 60 in '09, that might be the ticket!

• dino2000

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:33 PM

I'm sure the setup of the suspenders is still fresh in some of you racer's minds. What's a good sag number to start w/ in the rear? New Racetech 11.0 spring 240# rider
Thanks Men, Dino

• motochris

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Also, motochris, did I read correctly elsewhere that you're gonna be wringing out #304x in The Race? If so, Godspeed to you, Brother!:mad:

Si'.....bike 304x. Braaaaahhhhh...:mad:

• Cigarette38

Posted November 07, 2006 - 05:42 PM

Good read guys!! Godspeed to all twisting the grip!!
Remember When in doubt upshift :mad:

• ogrider650

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:27 PM

Si'.....bike 304x. Braaaaahhhhh...:mad:

chris and mikey out there representing D37 with stoli go get em chris!!!

• Kenaroo

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:32 PM

All I see now with the honda team racing 450Xs in the 1000 is the Phasing out of the 650...

Honda is trying to show the reliablilty and the speed of the 450x to convert all of us BRP riders to the new Xs..

Sons of Bitches.... I just switched to the BRP from a CRF!!!!!!!!! I like this bike.. I'm fast on this bike... I'm comfy riding my BRP... finally I love roosting on my BRP.

That's it.. I'm done.

good luck to all the racers and pit crews. be safe...

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Jimmy Sones #10 is racing and an awesome man. He is from Banning California and has been around for quite some time. Good to see him back racing Pro. He is on a BRP and I am rooting for a good finish for him and his SOLO effort.

• doc8m

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Anybody know how to get in touch with a 650R privateer team that's got a chance next week? Would that be Ron Wilson's 307x? Somebody direct me here.

I'm sending them a check. Yeah, probably too late to help this year but I got to make a statement.

Anybody read about trophy trucks downsizing their performance capability in Baja!? Hardly.

I'm with you eastreich, Honda's made the wrong decision, even it it was for the right reason... Honda really has gotten too big for their britches.

Weird science, Honda! Weird science.

Campbell is running their off road game now, right? He seems like a class act. Maybe Torrance has pulled his chain on this, don't know. Heck of it is, if another manufacturer's bike whups them, Campbell will take the hit, even if it was Torrence's decision. :p

I would pay big money to see a 650R beat Team A or B.

:cheers: one more 650 team to follow is 4x, four vets and a young buck out of d38. They're all solid riders, and the kid is points leader this year for open expert d38.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.