Is it ok to disconnect the decompression Cable on XR 600R?

10 replies to this topic
  • Redlines

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:44 PM

I just put on a new set of Renthal Twin wall bars on and I don't have room to mount my decompression lever. I never use it anyway and there is much less mounting area on the Twinwall bars so it has to go. Can I just remove my decompression cable all together or should I leave the cable on the head and just cut the cable right after where it mounts to the head so there will still be some pressure on the lever on the head?
Thanks

• eastreich

Posted November 06, 2006 - 06:23 PM

As soon as you remove the lever all together is when you'll crash and need the lever to clean out the cylinder to make it start!!

Why don't you get a XR650R clutch perch that has the auto-decompressor lever built in? I'm sure that you could also get any of the aftermarket perches for a 450/250 that have a hot start lever built into them and make them work also. If you spent the money for twin-walls, another few $$'s for a different perch isn't going to be a deal breaker is it?

• dangerranger21

Posted November 06, 2006 - 06:35 PM

i run mine with no decompression and have been for along time no problems here but to each is own...

• Redlines

Posted November 07, 2006 - 02:21 AM

Hey Dangerranger did you remove your cable entirely and have the actuator on the head have no tension on it at all or did you leave the cable end on on the head?

• cleonard

Posted November 07, 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hey Dangerranger did you remove your cable entirely and have the actuator on the head have no tension on it at all or did you leave the cable end on on the head?

The actuator on the head has the return spring, so it's no problem to just remove the cable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 07, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I agree with eastreich and say get a perch with a hot start lever or a stock XR650R clutch lever set up. You'll get into a condition at sometime and WANT the decompressor. In fact my 96 has so much compression I can't start it without the decompressor.

• Redlines

Posted November 07, 2006 - 01:42 PM

If I ever have to use it I can just use my hand and hold down the lever on the head as I kick it over. Thanks for all the responses

• LeadDoggy

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:14 AM

I have never used my decomp. Never had any problems starting eeven after dumpin it. :cheers:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:56 AM

If I ever have to use it I can just use my hand and hold down the lever on the head as I kick it over. Thanks for all the responses

watch out it may be kinda hot!

• dangerranger21

Posted November 08, 2006 - 03:46 PM

I just removed the cable, no problems... been dumped many times still kicked over like a good little XR should..

• cheezy

Posted November 08, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Yeah.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.