Who runs 15 48 gearing on 650R? questions

13 replies to this topic
  • Ferdinand

Posted November 06, 2006 - 03:52 PM

I keep putting it off, but want to try different gearing for on the road, mostly 45-60 mph stuff (no freeway or major highway riding). With stock gearing 40-50 mph and you're ready for fifth gear without much revin and taking it somewhat easy. Will 15 48 bump that up to about 50-60 for fifth with a nice cuisin speed of 55-60 in fifth? thanks

• Rideaide

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Going to the 15 counter sprocket would be like 45 in the rear. That is good for a bit more top end or HWY riding. I use 15-47.:mad:

• Mudshark

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Going to the 15 counter sprocket would be like 45 in the rear. That is good for a bit more top end or HWY riding. I use 15-47.:mad:

I've dropped to 15 / 46. It's great "dual duty" gearing. Nice road cruising
speed... I little tall for really tight stuff, but the bike has buckets of torque
so it's not really an issue.

Going from 14/48 to 15/48 is not such a "big" jump, you'll like it.... besides
front sprockets are cheap :mad:

• pigryder

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:36 PM

:mad:

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:48 PM

I am running 17" motard rims and tires on my 650R. I had already bumped up to a 15t in front, with the stock 48t rear. It helped, but at anything over 50 mph I was constantly want to "shift into 6th...":cry:

So a couple of months I bumped front and rear to 16/44. Ahhhhhhhh, bliss! Now she purrs on the interstate and around town, no more hunting for 6th gear. And I was pleasantly surprised that 1st gear wasn't a struggle either, didn't notice any "bog" what so ever when starting off in 1st. Like the earlier posts have said, the 650R has so much freaking torque that it can handle the higher gearing, no sweat.

Moral to this story is: I will be changing back to my factory 21"/18" rims and DS tires shortly (for the winter) and intend to run 15/48. I'm spoiled with higher gearing and the 15/48 gearing with factory rims will be very close to what I am running now, in terms of final-drive gear ratio.

Try 15/48. Changing out the CSS front sprocket is super-simple and relatively cheap. :mad:

I think you will like the results. And, if you want to take her on a tight, single-track ride, it'll just take you 15-20 minutes to swap your 14t CSS back in, and you're back to being able to crawl again. :mad:

• doc8m

Posted November 06, 2006 - 10:17 PM

I run 15/48 in the desert. no problem in slow speed twisty technical stuff. and top speed,on dry lake bed by gps, with 235lb. aerodynamically-challenged rider is over 80mph. This was prior to a badly needed valve adjustment. should work fine for the needs you describe.

• snaggleXR650

Posted November 07, 2006 - 05:53 AM

Ferdinand,
Yes, 15/48 will allow you to ride at 60mph for extended time without revving the motor much, but 60-65 will be about the limit of 'smoothness'. This is what gearing I run with my 18/21" dirt wheels, but I do alot of off road also. As previously mentioned, 15/45 or 15/46 would be ALOT better if you did more street and less slower offroad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:13 AM

i got the 15/45 on my bike right now and it has been to damn cold to try it out yet... anytime i go in the dirt i will just swap the front to either my 14 or i will buy a 13 and do that. the stock gearing was pretty managable in the woods.

• pburke

Posted November 07, 2006 - 03:13 PM

I bought my bike with 15-45 and it really was great for the paved stuff and gravel roads, but hopeless in the tight stuff. So I put a 13 in the front, which puts it about equal with stock 14/48 ratio. This works mch better offroad, while the rpm at 60mph is still semi-acceptable. Definitely not a touring setup any longer.

Since I hardly put any pavement miles on the bike, I am probably going to a 14/51 or 13/48 with new chain this winter. Too many tight forest trails around here. It's either short gears or a Recluse clutch ($$$)
to do those

• rdahl

Posted November 07, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Dido,
I ran a 15-48 for a Mexico ride......before i ran a 14-48. The 15-48 just killed the torque curve of the motor. Before at speed i could power wheely though nasty stuff i couldn't with the tall gearing....I put the 14 back on and the bike came back to life.

It was nice though on the long straight fire roads where you could pin it and not worry about the motor over reving......max i got up to with a clogged filter was 102mph....to hit that with the 14 would be a little too hard on the bike for my liking.

I bought my bike with 15-45 and it really was great for the paved stuff and gravel roads, but hopeless in the tight stuff. So I put a 13 in the front, which puts it about equal with stock 14/48 ratio. This works mch better offroad, while the rpm at 60mph is still semi-acceptable. Definitely not a touring setup any longer.

Since I hardly put any pavement miles on the bike, I am probably going to a 14/51 or 13/48 with new chain this winter. Too many tight forest trails around here. It's either short gears or a Recluse clutch ($$$)
to do those

• slowxr

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Can you run the 15 front sproket with the stock chain length?

• Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Can you run the 15 front sproket with the stock chain length?

You sure can. It will just set your wheel one link forward. Just as if you ran 14/49 gearing. It will drag a little bit more on the mudflap during suspension action. Two links forward is about the max you would really want to go, [such as 14/50 or 15/49]. The tire then gets real close to the front of the swingarm and just claws on the mudflap bigtime.

• Billahjack

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:34 PM

I had my bike hitting the rev limiter at 105MPH downhill on street with dirt tires and stock 14/48. My buddy is running 15/48 with dirt tires and a FMF Q2 pipe. He can still wheelie in 5th gear with the right technique. I rode his bike and it seems faster in the 75-95MPH range with 15/48 gearing on his bike versus my bike with 14/48 gearing. He was complaining when we hit really tight single track because he had to ride his clutch the whole time.

• Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:56 PM

I had my bike hitting the rev limiter at 105MPH downhill on street with dirt tires and stock 14/48. My buddy is running 15/48 with dirt tires and a FMF Q2 pipe. He can still wheelie in 5th gear with the right technique. I rode his bike and it seems faster in the 75-95MPH range with 15/48 gearing on his bike versus my bike with 14/48 gearing. He was complaining when we hit really tight single track because he had to ride his clutch the whole time.

I can agree that the taller gearing than stock starts to actually wake up the XR650R. From my experience, slightly taller gearing than stock seems to actually allow the XR650R to accelerate faster also. Part of the magic of the BRPs acceleration capability is the major torque output. It's horsepower noses over at higher rpms when revved out too long between gears. With a header you get more benefit and a new wake up call in the upper rev range, but that is another thread...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.