radiator lowering kit for 04 yz450f

4 replies to this topic
  • shield430

Posted November 06, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a radiator lowering kit for an 04 yz450f? I'm attempting to help this heavy bike be faster in the corners. If anyone has any other ideas i'd appreciate the help, whether it be parts, or riding tips.

• 05svs

Posted November 06, 2006 - 02:37 PM

i was looking for these for my 04 and didnt see any, i hope someone can lead you in the right direction.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • arel451

Posted November 06, 2006 - 03:38 PM

check with dr. d

• flintlock28

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:24 PM

I posted the same question about my 04' also.

From what I can gather, No one makes a lowering kit for the 04' models, simply because the frame hole for the radiator top crossover tube is too small. Look at the top of the radiator(s), and see where the crossover tube goes through the frame. If you lower the radiators, you would have to lengthen the radiator top tubes by an equivalent amount to be able to go thru the frame hole. One option would be to have a Radiator shop reweld longer tubes for the offset, to allow it to work....has anybody tried it yet?? I'm guessing it wouldn't be too cheap to do, but I'm sure it's do-able.

• flintlock28

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:49 PM

Oh, regarding my above post....

I didn't see the question regarding any tips, for improvement. but here's one.

On the 04' models (and I think the 03' models also), replace the stock linkage with a linkage from STORMLINK.

Click on "Products" than click on "Suspension Linkage"

This definately made the bike turn easier. What i mean by "easier" is that the bike will fall over easier in corners, i.e. it will feel less top-heavy, and will not stand up as much in corner's. You will have to experiment with a different sag rate compared to the stock one. If I remember correctly, I used 106mm. I think most guys who tried the Stormlink used between 105-107mm for the sag. I bought mine used for $ 75, but new they run $ 139.99.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.