2003 starter help... Please

7 replies to this topic
  • brsmith

Posted November 06, 2006 - 11:14 AM

Just bought this used 03 wr 450. It does not have any 04 updated parts. Here's what happens... When you push the button it turns over, then it sounds like to free wheels, then clunk..clunk.. then turns over some more..to repeat clunk.. clunk.. ect. I did check for a broken case but it was okay. I removed the starter cleaned contacts ect. I also replace the battery with a new one. When I had the side case off the gear behind the flywheel freewheeled in one direction and would not spin in the other.. It felt real smooth and seams okay. It also starts easy with the kick starter.

Okay, now can some of you guy give me some input please... I would like to fix it, but don't want to start replacing stuff I don't need to. Thanks Smitty

• Christi20

Posted November 06, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I had the same problem with my 03 450. I bought it new. And from day one I had problems with the e start. It just didn't seem to have enough juice or something. I got about a 25% start rate on it. It would kickstarted great. I never found the problem. And that was one of the main reasons I sold it! Good luck.

• David_Gronlund

Posted November 06, 2006 - 02:32 PM

Mine does the same, been getting worse lately. I pulled it apart and looked close at the one way clutch on the back of the flywheel and it looks like the rollers have flat spots from wear. I never once had a problem with this bike and I bought it new. Been a great bike. The new clutch is only $75 from Yamaha so I'm going to change that to see if it helps.
Part number 5TJ-15590-00-00

• mtrablue

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:45 PM

the one-way starter clutch on the back of the flywheel is failing. it is made up of a bunch of eccentric "rockers" that are held in place by a small diameter spring that wraps around the outside of the "rockers". when the spring fails the "rockers" don't all grab at the same time. they tend to slip and grab which is the clunk you hear. pull the flywheel and check out the one way clutch and the hub that the "rockers" grip. if the hub area is all beat up you will probably need to replace it also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brsmith

Posted November 07, 2006 - 10:48 AM

the one-way starter clutch on the back of the flywheel is failing. it is made up of a bunch of eccentric "rockers" that are held in place by a small diameter spring that wraps around the outside of the "rockers". when the spring fails the "rockers" don't all grab at the same time. they tend to slip and grab which is the clunk you hear. pull the flywheel and check out the one way clutch and the hub that the "rockers" grip. if the hub area is all beat up you will probably need to replace it also.

That must be it.. Here is how I checked it. With the small cover off the starter drive (just to make sure it was spinning) I keep the gears in place by holding a socket over the shaft. I also removed the center crank shaft cap and placed a 17mm socket on the crank nut. I had a helper push the starter button to see what would happen. Well the starter and its drive was spinning 100% of the time... but with my hand on the crank shaft socket it would spin and stop..clunk..clunk and spin some more. This tells me indeed the starter clutch is failing. Thanks everyone for there input. Smitty:thumbsup:

• tvrjohn

Posted November 09, 2006 - 09:19 AM

That seems to be the correct diagnosis for my problem also

Cheers

• brsmith

Posted November 09, 2006 - 11:43 PM

Well, all the parts are on order. I did the 04 up-grade, damper assy, new starter clutch, starter gear, cover, thrust washers, and a set of starter brushes... Hope this cures all my issues with the starter. Smitty

• BEAN329

Posted November 10, 2006 - 10:18 PM

I've raced a 03 wr 450 from day one it's a great bike. It's sounds like you are going in the right direction. Make sure you check the flywheel nut torque several times after you put it back together. There seems to have been a little bit of under engineering of the crankshaft taper and flywheel key for the 2003 models, although I have not had any problems with mine. I did have to retorque my flywheel nut about 4 times before it settled in. Good Luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.