HArd starting xr650l

12 replies to this topic
  • Boy named sue

Posted November 06, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Hey I was wondering if any body else has a hard time starting their xrl when the temperature drops I have an 02 xrl with all of Daves mods done to it ,and living in Canada on the east coast it is still warm enough to ride but it is really hard to get the beast to fire up in the morning anybody out there have the answer?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 06, 2006 - 09:22 AM

55/158 jetting with stock pipe?

gasoline or gasohoil (10% ethanol) in your area? (fuel blend may change in winter)

Make sure the enrichment slide moves freely (the slide in the carb at the end of the 'choke' cable)

Dave

• goblin127

Posted November 06, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hey I was wondering if any body else has a hard time starting their xrl when the temperature drops I have an 02 xrl with all of Daves mods done to it ,and living in Canada on the east coast it is still warm enough to ride but it is really hard to get the beast to fire up in the morning anybody out there have the answer?

Mine was terrible to start also,even with the mods. As the temp got colder the bike got just about impossible to start. Then I bought the mikuni from XRs only set up for the bike and I can only say that it has been transformed performance wise and winter starting wise. I would say it was the best investment to the bike that I have made. This is the nonpumper model.

• ghoti

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:02 PM

How long in between is it typically? Do you turn off the gas petcock when you park it?

• platterdr

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:48 PM

i posted this same question on another site ....there suggestion was oil ....what weight oil are you running i went from a 50w to 10 40 and it starts much easier in cold temps.. I never thought oil could make that much difference but it did

• cleonard

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:13 PM

i posted this same question on another site ....there suggestion was oil ....what weight oil are you running i went from a 50w to 10 40 and it starts much easier in cold temps.. I never thought oil could make that much difference but it did

It is the W rating that is important in the cold. The 20W in the 20W-50 is what makes the oil thick around freezing, not the 50. 20W will make it about unstartable below freezing. 15W will get you down to 20 and 10W will take you down to colder than I can even imagine getting on a bike. I use the 15W-40 Rotella and it works OK down to a cold as I ever plan on riding.

Stick a bottle of 20W-50 in the freezer. It's amazing how thick it gets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted November 06, 2006 - 06:47 PM

How long in between is it typically? Do you turn off the gas petcock when you park it?

I've gotten into the habit of shutting off the petcock and letting it stall each day when I get home. By the time I remove my helmet, open the gate and walk it to it's crib it's just about dry.

• goblin127

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:15 PM

I've gotten into the habit of shutting off the petcock and letting it stall each day when I get home. By the time I remove my helmet, open the gate and walk it to it's crib it's just about dry.

I allways thought carbs were better off left wet than dry.

• ghoti

Posted November 07, 2006 - 05:55 AM

It is the W rating that is important in the cold. The 20W in the 20W-50 is what makes the oil thick around freezing, not the 50. 20W will make it about unstartable below freezing. 15W will get you down to 20 and 10W will take you down to colder than I can even imagine getting on a bike. I use the 15W-40 Rotella and it works OK down to a cold as I ever plan on riding.

Stick a bottle of 20W-50 in the freezer. It's amazing how thick it gets.

That would only matter if the bike is left outside, or the garage also sees temps that low.

• Boy named sue

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:45 AM

55/158 jetting with stock pipe?

gasoline or gasohoil (10% ethanol) in your area? (fuel blend may change in winter)

Make sure the enrichment slide moves freely (the slide in the carb at the end of the 'choke' cable)

Dave

stock pipe and gasoline 92 octane 55/158 . choke seems to be working fine would going up a size on the pilot help?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:50 AM

stock pipe and gasoline 92 octane 55/158 . choke seems to be working fine would going up a size on the pilot help?

55/158 should be fine.
make sure you don't have an ill-fitting boot or a dislodged vacuum line giving you a vacuum leak.

Try this- before turning on the petcock, drain the bowl (until empty) with the screw at the bottom of the carb, leave it open, turn on the petcock, and close the screw when fuel comes out.

Some gas additives can go stale really quick, but if you're talking about starting the bike every day (instead of once a week or so) its probably not that.

Once you do get it started, does it idle well?
Could be a little junk on the pilot jet, or if you have the long pilot jet maybe the slosh baffle is giving you grief.

Dave

• Boy named sue

Posted November 13, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Dave I"ll try that.

• XR 650

Posted November 13, 2006 - 12:35 PM

I have an 03 with the same issues. Its hard to start 50 or below. Crank it a few times then let it sit for 30 seconds, then it fires right up. I'm running a 55 pilot. I've also noticed the oil pump noise till it warms up again. (left during the summer).

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.