426 Remote Hot-Start

5 replies to this topic
  • Daz_426_02

Posted November 05, 2006 - 10:26 PM

Hey guys i know that there are a few different Leaver perches that come with a hot-start lever on the Bottow. Has anyone done this mod, how well did it work and if so any pics please :mad:

Thanks

• Florida_426

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:37 AM

I installed a Dr. D hot start kit on my 02 after 2 weeks in 2002. Worthwhile mod, just keep the plunger lubed and clean and the cable lubed.

Bill

• Daz_426_02

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:41 AM

Thanks Bill, :mad:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Florida_426

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Daz,
I will try and get some digital pics of the system at the carburetor, the brake perch installation of the trigger and of the "plunger" (it actually pulls out to open the air inlet orifice) and post them for you. May be tomorrow with work being a bit busy. Cheers!

Bill

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:47 AM

We have a Dr.D on the 250F, and it works well. It's far handier on the bars, and impossible to forget to turn it off. The only trouble we ever had with it was that it used to get stuck shut. We figured out it was from water getting into the plunger bore via the cable, and in SoCal, that means when we washed the bike.

We now avoid this by the simple trick of running the engine after a wash job (be sure the air filter isn't wet) and just holding the hot start open for 20-30 seconds to draw any water out of the bore. It's worked for over two years, non-stop. If you can't do this, then you need to remove the plunger after each ride/wash, spray the bore with an alcohol bearing carb cleaner like Berryman's B-12 to get rid of the water, and lube it with a dab of marine grease.

• Florida_426

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:33 AM

I cannot get my digital camera to work. New camera time. Sorry about this problem. Anyway I like the Dr.D hot start system a lot. Wehn mine did stick in 2003 Gina Dubach took a lot of time to help me get things right, down to offering to fix the carb if needed by sending it to them and getting a new hot start to boot. Not needed, Doug's tips worked and now I know how to service the mechanism, just a quick part of my maintenance routine.

I like having the hot start lever on the throttle side since my old school habits with open 2T bikes still causes me to crack the throttle some. The system stopped this cold. Overall I approve of Dr.D and their products. I will consider their pipe system and the accessory parts when and if I get a YZ 450F.

Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.