Simple Q for those who'v resprung forks

11 replies to this topic
  • NuckingFuts

Posted November 05, 2006 - 07:06 PM

After getting your forks serviced (resprung/valved) did you notice that your seals were more prone to leaking?

My forks have NEVER leaked in the first 800 miles of its life. I get them respung/valved and now they've leaked twice in the last month. Service guy says its just dirt/sand in the seals and to just do the film clean trick but the sudden hi-frequency of leaks has me thinkin' otherwise.

Thoughts?

• redswr

Posted November 05, 2006 - 07:08 PM

i just got mine done and haven't seen any leaks. do you bleed the air out of your forks after riding?

• simon@vic

Posted November 05, 2006 - 07:27 PM

when a fork seal "blows", leaks it isnt an on and then off thing.
if they are blown then they will barf out all the oil down on to your hub and brakes......

• Alley Cat

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Seals are easily replaced if you are worried about them.
Neither of my bikes have "blown" seals (both have been revalved and resprung), but I run seal savers to keep crap out of them. I think they work quite well, where as others hate them. Personal choice I guess.

A bit of oil leaking is not necessarily a bad thing. Just clean them out. How much of a leak are we talking about? As Simon says, a blown seal will really spew out it's oil.

• gregwr450f

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:50 AM

Check the correct procedure was followed when fitting the front wheel, your lower fork legs may be a little twisted.

• NuckingFuts

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Seals are easily replaced if you are worried about them.
Neither of my bikes have "blown" seals (both have been revalved and resprung), but I run seal savers to keep crap out of them. I think they work quite well, where as others hate them. Personal choice I guess.

A bit of oil leaking is not necessarily a bad thing. Just clean them out. How much of a leak are we talking about? As Simon says, a blown seal will really spew out it's oil.

If I left the last leak alone then it probably would have slowly drained all the oil out. By the time I caught it ~5cc's had drained all over the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alley Cat

Posted November 06, 2006 - 03:35 PM

I'd try cleaning the seal out first then, and might be a good time to get some new seals.

• AUS_WR450

Posted November 06, 2006 - 05:57 PM

Check the correct procedure was followed when fitting the front wheel, your lower fork legs may be a little twisted.

I agree with Shrek. Sounds like the forks are slightly out of alignment

• NuckingFuts

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:57 PM

Forks are heading back to the shop tomorrow for new seals (free of charge).

BTW, Im positive the bike was properly assembled.

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Forks are heading back to the shop tomorrow for new seals (free of charge).

BTW, Im positive the bike was properly assembled.

I had Race Tech revalve/respring the forks on my WR at about 200 miles. 20 months and over 2000 miles later, still no leaks. And I race MX with my WR. One proactive thing I do regularly is to pull down the wiper seal and pack the cavity with Bel-Ray waterproof grease every so often. This keeps the grit and powerwasher spray out.:mad:

• Alley Cat

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:29 PM

One proactive thing I do regularly is to pull down the wiper seal and pack the cavity with Bel-Ray waterproof grease every so often. This keeps the grit and powerwasher spray out.:mad:

That is one good idea :mad: , another is to cut a strip of sponge, soak it in oil, and wrap it arould the fork tube between the dust seal and oil seal just like you say!

• NuckingFuts

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, I second that though I haven't done it in a while. Thanks for the good reminder.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.