'06 WR headlight switch?

6 replies to this topic
  • Cirus

Posted November 05, 2006 - 03:44 PM

Anyone tried it? I picked up my '06 WR450 Saturday and fired it up and the headlight came on and there is no where to turn it off. Why would someone want daytime running lights on a dirtbike? Anyone tried putting a switch on the headlights? The lights running in the daytime just pisses me off.

• Alley Cat

Posted November 05, 2006 - 06:55 PM

I am contemplating doing the same. It is very easy to just install a switch into the power cable for the head light.

The headlight is a good safety feature though as you can notice it quite clearly even during the day.

• HarryCallahan

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Anyone tried it? I picked up my '06 WR450 Saturday and fired it up and the headlight came on and there is no where to turn it off. Why would someone want daytime running lights on a dirtbike? Anyone tried putting a switch on the headlights? The lights running in the daytime just pisses me off.

I picked up an '03 WR light switch for mine. You'll have to do your own connectors since the factory harness doesn't have them now - at least I didn't see any there. There are two leads from the switch, one for the headlight and the other a connector for the harness which you will splice to your present headlight wires. The switch wires are are color coded to match the original wires so you won't have a problem getting it right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ibis

Posted November 06, 2006 - 03:51 PM

I use this one from TrailTech @ $19.95. It has Hi, Lo, Off, Kill button, and an accessory wire for grip warmers, etc that is hot on both Hi and Lo. It's narrow and fits in the same space as the stock kill button.
Posted Image

• Gadsen

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I use this one from TrailTech @ $19.95. It has Hi, Lo, Off, Kill button, and an accessory wire for grip warmers, etc that is hot on both Hi and Lo. It's narrow and fits in the same space as the stock kill button.
Posted Image

That is exactly what I used for mine. I also wired it so when the headlamp was off, so was the tail lamp/stop lamp. I also added an extra pin in the headlamp conector so I could add "low beam". The bike is set to run high beam only. Now you have a back up element. Better than rining out in the dark. I removed my stock kill and wired in the new kill. I got mine from http://www.peakmoto.com and it was made by K&S switches and looks like a carbon copy of the Trail Tech one. Here it is installed. Posted Image

The yellow wire coming out of the harness is the AC power. Cut this and use it for power to the switch (probably the red wire from the switch). Hook the high beam wire to the other yellow end, the blue wire is power for the tail lamp. The blue wire should hook to the WR blue wire also. Cut the blue wire off flush at the headlamp connector. (first poster reffered to thsi as accessorie wire for grip heaters, I used it for the tail lamp. The black and white are the kill circuit and I think green is low beam. But you will need to add the pigtail into the headlamp socket to use the low beam element. Do it this way, you wil have an off/lo beam/high beam and a kill. Note, when the headlights are off, the tail lamp wont work either. Might as well grab the pressure switch and make your tail lamp a stop lamp also. Now wiring color, I'm going from my 04 WR450F, colors might be different for the 06, but I doubt it.

• Alley Cat

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:33 PM

That's a nice switch set up right there!

• WRgrom

Posted November 09, 2006 - 03:18 PM

:p Nice switch I think I will have to pick one up,thanks:busted: :cheers:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.