Oil Help XR600

9 replies to this topic
  • xr500_89

Posted November 05, 2006 - 01:56 PM

any body else's xr600 leak some from the over flow cause mines leaking some from it and it drips onto the exhasuts and starts to smoke thought of a few ways to fix it but just want to know if anyone else's did this.

• LandSharkGT

Posted November 05, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Are you refering to the Crankcase Breather?

• XR_Dude

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:12 PM

I've had my XR 600R for 10 years and it has never leaked oil out of the breather......

• dangerranger21

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Mines went 12 yrs never having that prob.. out of the exhaust?!!

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:35 PM

any body else's xr600 leak some from the over flow cause mines leaking some from it and it drips onto the exhasuts and starts to smoke thought of a few ways to fix it but just want to know if anyone else's did this.

No. Mine doesn't but it may be overfilled. When you check it how do you check it. And I don;t mean "with the dipstick" What are the otehr conditions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:45 PM

I had oil come out of my crankcase breather. There are 3 reasons for it. First is simply too much oil in the bike. Second is extended high rpm full throttle operation. Think racing in the baja 1000. Wide open at 90+mph for extended periods. This will cause some oil to blow out the crankcase breather even in a properly operating engine.

Third is the combustion gas blow by. This happened to my 600. Oil was running out the breather every time I stopped. I had to add oil every ride. Mine was worn out rings. When I took it apart the ring end gap was huge. It must have been .150 if not .200. I put the ring in the bore to measure it, and just started laughing when I saw it. Since I know that you just built your bike, perhaps the rings haven't seated yet and there is still excessive blow by. Keep riding it and see if it gets less. Sometimes rings never seat and the bore has to be honed again for another try at seating. Try a compression check. If it's bad enough to blow oil, the compression should be a bit low.

Proper technique helps with ring seating. I read that a dry assemble (for the rings) helps a lot. It goes against everything that I think is right, but I tried it. I also did the harder break in. I parked at the base of a 200 foot tall hill and did hill climbs for the first 1/2 hour. My bike has never blown oil out the crankcase breather since.

If you are talking about leaking from the head cover, and leaking down, it is fairly common. Sometimes it means that the threads in the head are bad and need a helicoil. If the gasket surfaces get dinged then they don't come together properly. A little sand paper can fix that. I've also had rocker shaft leak. I had to replace the copper washers (gaskets) to stop that. Mine leaks a little from the head cover and I just live with it.

• rebelventurer

Posted November 06, 2006 - 02:39 PM

Once again, well said cleonard! everything I was going to say + some!!! :mad:

• xr500_89

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:31 AM

well cleonard well put thought but to the wrong area im not refering to the breathers those are fine but i hvae oil coming out of the OVERFLOW the flange next to the dipstick it seem like every time i ride it comes out of there., and everything you said about the dry build and hard break in i did as well it felt just wrong putting it togethor like that but my motto is break it in hard its not a bitch, but possibly i put too much oil in the resivour and its coming out just how much should i put in the bike after an oil change.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 07, 2006 - 09:53 AM

well cleonard well put thought but to the wrong area im not refering to the breathers those are fine but i hvae oil coming out of the OVERFLOW the flange next to the dipstick it seem like every time i ride it comes out of there., and everything you said about the dry build and hard break in i did as well it felt just wrong putting it togethor like that but my motto is break it in hard its not a bitch, but possibly i put too much oil in the resivour and its coming out just how much should i put in the bike after an oil change.

What year is it?

Basically totally drain the oil from the filter, and crankcase. Put in 1 quart, then most of the second quart. Start the bike and let it warm up then let it idle for about 30 seconds and turn it off and check the oil via the dipstick, top off as needed by the full mark on the dipstick. DO NOT OVER FILL!

• xr500_89

Posted November 08, 2006 - 03:42 PM

yeah i did that second i started it up it blew a bunch of oil from the overflow i think im just gonna cap it off

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.