IMS 4 Gal. Tank, Petcock Leaking

6 replies to this topic
  • stolidog

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Anyone know if you can use teflon plumbing tape for gas lines?

The IMS 4 gal tank uses a threaded valve that threads into a plate and O Ring that is bolted to tank. (1) stock outlet and (2) outside

The fuel is leaking thru the treads. Slowly.

I think this is a poor design but I am Leaving for the 1000 soon :mad: and need the large tank plus will be carrying 2 gallons on my side.

Looking for any help. :mad:

I will be calling IMS monday bright and early. Hopefully they will have an answer.:mad:

• MATUCHI

Posted November 05, 2006 - 11:05 AM

Anyone know if you can use teflon plumbing tape for gas lines?

The IMS 4 gal tank uses a threaded valve that threads into a plate and O Ring that is bolted to tank. (1) stock outlet and (2) outside

The fuel is leaking thru the treads. Slowly.

I think this is a poor design but I am Leaving for the 1000 soon :mad: and need the large tank plus will be carrying 2 gallons on my side.

Looking for any help. :mad:

I will be calling IMS monday bright and early. Hopefully they will have an answer.:mad:

I would be cautious about using Teflon tape with gasoline. Here are some things I found on the web about doing that.

Teflon tape is not recommended in an environment where it may come in contact with gasoline. I realize that there isn't supposed to be any gas in the PCV system, but I wonder if it has more to do with the characteristics of the gas rather than the gas itself (ie. petroleum product, like oil is).

Anyway, teflon paste is recommended where contact with gasoline will occur. The paste can be found in the same section of the plumbing or hardware store as the teflon tape."

And:

"Pipe Thread Sealant: Loctite Thread Sealant #56521 For:Gasoline and oil fittings"

I hope this helps, Matuchi...............

• stolidog

Posted November 05, 2006 - 03:56 PM

I would be cautious about using Teflon tape with gasoline. Here are some things I found on the web about doing that.

Teflon tape is not recommended in an environment where it may come in contact with gasoline. I realize that there isn't supposed to be any gas in the PCV system, but I wonder if it has more to do with the characteristics of the gas rather than the gas itself (ie. petroleum product, like oil is).

Anyway, teflon paste is recommended where contact with gasoline will occur. The paste can be found in the same section of the plumbing or hardware store as the teflon tape."

And:

"Pipe Thread Sealant: Loctite Thread Sealant #56521 For:Gasoline and oil fittings"

I hope this helps, Matuchi...............

Thank You

I Think That Will Work

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted November 05, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Thank You

I Think That Will Work

My IMS tank leaked from under the petcock mount, from a badly moulded tank. It looked like it was the petcock threads, until I did a pressure test. You could see air bubbles coming out from under the mounting plate, right past the o-ring. I sent the tank back and they gave me a new one.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted November 06, 2006 - 08:48 AM

Stoli - check your PM.

• stolidog

Posted November 06, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Guys

Luckly IMS is not to far from work. They gave me a new tank that they mounted the petcocks and presure tested.

• Old-Man

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:40 PM

How does that 4 gallon tank look on the bike? I know the 3.2 looks like the stock tank, does the 4 gallon look over sized on it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2007 450x front and rear suspension questions by dale450x2007

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

One last bike for the rest if your life? by matty86suk

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First time racer! by OwenDennis

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Time for a new bike! by OwenDennis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

This is the way to start an awesome port remodel. by Jeff@bigborethumpers

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • Hot  57 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.