WR450 Won't Start

7 replies to this topic
  • phattaxman

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:22 AM

I have an '06 WR450F with no mods. I rode it most of the winter and all spring. Circumstance prevented me from riding during the summer. (Last time out was in June.) I certainly didn't plan on letting it sit, unused, for 4 or 5 months, but it happened.

Now, it won't start.:mad: The starter cranks it over, but it shows no signs of wanting to start.

The tank has plenty of gas and I've tried the petcock in both "on" and "res" positions.

Before I get hosed by a mechanic, does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks.

• boer

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:29 AM

If the starter cranks it you atleast have power. If I was a betting man I would say your carb is dirty or the fuel is lacquered up in it. I would clean out the carb and check the plug.

• new04450

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:47 AM

I would try to just drain the float bowl and then try to start it- I left mine for about the same amount of time- I drained my bowl, turned on the fuel- and it started right up- But if it won't start after doing that- Boer is right on the money- clean the carb, change the plug, and put new fuel in her- she should start right up

• GCannon

Posted November 06, 2006 - 11:09 AM

Clean The Carb!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Anchslayer

Posted November 06, 2006 - 11:17 AM

You also may try the kickstarter if not allready. When mine is cold or has not been started for a while the E-start is useless. I only use it for hotstarts.

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:13 PM

You also may try the kickstarter if not allready. When mine is cold or has not been started for a while the E-start is useless. I only use it for hotstarts.

I agree. When it gets a little cooler out, the E-start will turn it over but not fast enough. So on my bike, if the E-start doesn't get it fired, it will usually go with one or two kicks.

That is the extent of my expertise, so I'll defer further troubleshooting to the experts.

Best of luck.

• Beejay

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:12 PM

If the starter cranks it you atleast have power. If I was a betting man I would say your carb is dirty or the fuel is lacquered up in it. I would clean out the carb and check the plug.

This is the probable remedy.

• phattaxman

Posted November 10, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'll pull the carb this weekend and clean it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.