07 oil filter same as 06?

7 replies to this topic
  • mx43yzf

Posted November 05, 2006 - 04:44 AM

Does anyone know if the 07 has changed or can I just order the 06?

THanks in advance

• Huckster

Posted November 05, 2006 - 04:50 AM

yes they are the same according to the guys at Readyracing...

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 05, 2006 - 06:39 AM

same as the 06, which is same as the 05,04,and 03

• grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2006 - 07:54 AM

...which is the same as the '98-'02.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 05, 2006 - 11:45 AM

LOL first thing I did was buy a couple 02 mesh filters. Works great too.

• CrashMachine

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, that was quite convenient...I had a bunch of air and oil filters from my 02 250F layin around....I was quite pleased when i looked at them and realized they were the same (Of course I realized this RIGHT after I bought two twinair filters and a reusable oil filter) :cheers:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 08, 2006 - 07:12 AM

well at least you can boast you have a name brand filter now. :cheers:

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2006 - 09:13 AM

I was quite pleased when i looked at them and realized they were the same (Of course I realized this RIGHT after I bought two twinair filters and a reusable oil filter) :cheers:

They are interchangeable, but the pre '03 OEM mesh filters are absolutely not the same as a Scotts, or even the cheaper copies. The bronze mesh media in the OEM filters is delicate and can be easily damaged during cleaning, even by compressed air, on a visually undetectable level that could spread open sections of the mesh to where they allow double the normal particle size through. That's even worse, because they already only filter to around 70-80 microns as it is. A Scotts will stop everything larger than 34 microns.

If you bought one of the copy cat filters that has an Allen screw retaining the bypass valve, be certain that screw stays tight. I know of at least one case of the set screw falling out of place, which basically makes the filter ineffective.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.