looking at a 450

4 replies to this topic
  • MonK_E

Posted November 04, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Im looking at buying a 07 YZ450F but im a bit worried about how it will handle compared to a smoker as it weighs nearly 10kg more. will in notice that much of a weight difference?

My last 4stroke was a WR and it handled like a cow on coke compared to my smoker, one of the reasons for it was i could not get close enough to the front of the bike to turn because of how wide it was and the length of the tank.

Has any one got pictures taken from above the bike so i can see the cockpit area and how wide it is.

THANKS to all that help

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2006 - 04:23 PM

I can pretty much guarantee that the only time you'll notice the weight is when you put it on a stand or push it uphill. The bike weighs one pound less than my '03, but when you ride it, it feels like it's 25 pounds lighter than that. You'll find yourself looking down and touching the engine to see if it really is a four-stroke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted November 04, 2006 - 05:00 PM

So I sold my WR 450 (06) because it was a tank to get around the track. Great for the desert, but for the track, it's 30 lbs heavier than the YZ and because of the battery being placed so high, this doesn't help matters.

I sat on an 07 and it feels great. Then again, the new aluminum frame WR's are pretty sweet as well. The problem with the WR's, even though they went to an aluminum frame, is the fact they didn't do anything to shed any weight.

The new clutch actuator on the 07 YZ feels light like a CRF. Really a nice change. I sat on the 06 and 07 side by side and the 07 feels nicer and the levers and controls are MUCH easier to use. The feel is nice and light...

The new wide footpegs and new disks on both the WR and YZ's look and feel pretty trick!

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 04, 2006 - 08:39 PM

The weight on the 450 is carried lower than the burner. I went from a highly modified yz250 to my 450 and was astonished by how light the 450 felt. Trust me you will not even think about the weight once the bike is in the air.

• MonK_E

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. :mad:
I defiantly want one now, all i have to do is save another 2k.
Hope fully ill have one for Xmas.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.