HELP 2004 yzf 450 waterpump shaft broke

2 replies to this topic
  • gerbrony450

Posted November 04, 2006 - 01:29 PM

had a leaking waterpump, my buddy broke the waterpump shaft when trying to take the impeller off. Now the impeller spins freely and cannot be removed with the impeller cover off. Do we need to take the whole side cover off the motor to get the remainder of the shaft out? The impeller just spins freely and will not slide in and out so it seems the tip of the shaft broke internally. Any recommendations or tips appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2006 - 02:38 PM

had a leaking waterpump, my buddy broke the waterpump shaft when trying to take the impeller off. Now the impeller spins freely and cannot be removed with the impeller cover off. Do we need to take the whole side cover off the motor to get the remainder of the shaft out?

Yes. You were supposed to do that in the first place. There's a pair of flats on the shaft for a 12mm wrench to hold it with as the nut is removed. Doing it the way you did puts an excessive strain on the drive tab on the end of the shaft, and breaks it, but I guess you found that out.

Even if you had been able to remove the impeller, you could have only replace the outer, coolant seal. The oil seal comes out the other direction. Although it makes no difference now, the shaft may have had a groove worn into it by the seal, and then, had you reused it, the seal would have failed.

• gerbrony450

Posted November 04, 2006 - 04:00 PM

thanks i got the side case off and removed the shaft and seals. Had to order the parts from the local shop so hopefully ill be back on the trails next week
thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.