Xrr + Usd = ?????

12 replies to this topic
  • Cigarette38

Posted November 04, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Wilst doing research on how and why I need to build an XRR to fit my needs best, I keep on comming up with front end swaps. Or should I say how too swap posts. Everything about what bearings belong to what stem to what stem fits what clamp. BUT what I don't see in any thread is why are you guys changing out front ends and even more inportant what is the outcome? What changed in the handling of the bike? What did you need to do to balance the front to back? Or is this just all about swaping in a little bling?

Please let us know the magic you found by doing this!

• dangerranger21

Posted November 04, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Yah I have always wondered this too... I am starting to think alot of it is looks! Most dont like the fork boot look which I somewhat understand... Im just living with my fork boots, the suspension is doing the job for what my riding needs ask of... Im sure their is some good things about swaping but it would be nice to hear the outcome...

• thouk

Posted November 04, 2006 - 07:56 PM

Hey Y'all,
I had a '86 Xr600r that I ran into a tree during a poker run. After talking to the parts guys at the local Honda dealer I decided it would be cheaper to buy a set of the White Brother's upside down forks. I would have never been able to tell the difference in between the stock and the upside down forks. When I saw how much it was going to be for the Xr650r to change to the upside down forks I thought what the heck. I got some of the money back selling the old forks to someone else. Is it worth it? For me I think the looks make it worth it. As for the handling I could not tell you. Sorry that doesn't answer the technical side of your question. Here is a picture of my girl, Tony

Posted Image

• Cigarette38

Posted November 05, 2006 - 11:19 AM

Tony nice looking BRP

That makes it 1 for bling

• dangerranger21

Posted November 05, 2006 - 12:11 PM

that does look very nice +2

• nastcat

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:15 PM

I did the USD fork swap on my xr650r. The main reason for me was to save a little bling. You see, my oldest son decided to use the BRP for a chainsaw and cut off a 10 inch fence post. After trying to find parts for the pig and seeing how expensive the used parts were I decided to go with the USD conversion. The crf450 parts are more readily availible on ebay and more reasonable than the xr650r parts. I've now ridden the bike maybe a half dozen times and my riding partner has ridden it half that much. We both agree that it soaks up the whoops better and makes a noticable diference in the bike's ability to handle a sandy whooped out Michigan trail. Now the rear suspension does lack a little but if a person were to have it revalved I think it could be tuned to make a very good ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmhrc630

Posted November 12, 2006 - 12:09 PM

agreed CRF450R parts work veryt well.

I wanted better suspension, steering and also much better brakes - the complete CRF front end involves using 450R brakes which are the best you can get.

here's mine:

Posted Image

• philipstjohn

Posted November 12, 2006 - 05:28 PM

I might be an old school guy, but I love the current state of the MX/Enduro bikes of today in terms of the advanced "tech/trick" good looks, equipment or whatever. But the XR650R, which started with its current suspension, has not changed for seven years now, and there is a reason for this besides costs. Changing to the "latest upside down style", which has been around for a long time now way before its popularity today, is not necessary the answer, at least according to Honda Research with the XR650R. It would be easy to just change the front suspension from the factory. Many would argue this current suspension set up on the XR650R is one of the best made ever to date... remember, do not marry on good looks alone....:p :cheers:

• rmhrc630

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:43 PM

I might be an old school guy, but I love the current state of the MX/Enduro bikes of today in terms of the advanced "tech/trick" good looks, equipment or whatever. But the XR650R, which started with its current suspension, has not changed for seven years now, and there is a reason for this besides costs. Changing to the "latest upside down style", which has been around for a long time now way before its popularity today, is not necessary the answer, at least according to Honda Research with the XR650R. It would be easy to just change the front suspension from the factory. Many would argue this current suspension set up on the XR650R is one of the best made ever to date... remember, do not marry on good looks alone....:p :cheers:

To me it's a non argument.

All modern well designed bikes run USDs, no question.

Honda do it to cut costs plain and simple.

USDs rule - Even Scott summers ran them for years and years until he came up with something he could sell and adapt to the stockers.

As for the "USDs will break my frame" - what a crock. Honda spread that to keep a lid on modification and people realising some of the shortcuts they made.

How do you think a GP bike feels with 200KW and 200 KG at 300km/hr? The forces acting on such a frame are immense.

• rockn6gs

Posted November 12, 2006 - 07:23 PM

While I agree with most of the statements above I would be hesitant to believe that usd forks are the final answer for total performance. I would think that if they were that much of improvement the Honda A team would have been running them.

Attached Thumbnails

• db_campbell34.jpg
  • db_campbell44.jpg

• philipstjohn

Posted November 12, 2006 - 07:36 PM

While I agree with most of the statements above I would be hesitant to believe that usd forks are the final answer for total performance. I would think that if they were that much of improvement the Honda A team would have been running them.

That was my point-and if you look at what the bike was designed for, the stock suspension, revalved and re sprung for the rider is what most guys run, and for a reason. Dependability, as in why we buy XR650R's, correct?:cheers:

• rmhrc630

Posted November 12, 2006 - 08:58 PM

They run them to retain the appearance that the XR650R is the only bike for Baja. They dont not run them on the basis of performance.

Scott summers for years ran white power USDs on his XRs.

Money talks and as beleive me the slide would start if Honda started appearing with USDs on the XR650. The question would then be why not run a CRF and thus XR650R sales would disolve overnight.

So just cos team Honda run stock doesn't necessarily mean that they do it for performance...sales matter...alot.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 13, 2006 - 12:01 PM

On an older Honda XR600R like I have the reason to do USD is plain, more adjustment. If one needs more adjustment. I have a set of YZ250 USD forks on my 1992 desert bike, a XR630R, and may do them on my supermoto for the bling factor. But truthfully the stockers on the supermoto which is a 1996 XR600R are great and afetr being revalved by Racetach work so well I don't NEED the change them out. If I do Ill probably sell them, the stockers that is for as much as it costs me to do a set of USD off a CR250.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.