dual sport an XR600?

15 replies to this topic
  • teacherman

Posted November 03, 2006 - 01:42 PM

I am sure this has been asked but how reliable would an XR600 be for dual sporting? Please do not tell me do buy a 650l. I want to spend less than $2000 and cannot find a good L for that price. I live in TN so I only need to add brake light switch (<$20), mirror (<$20), and horn (about $40). It would see very little dirt so do they hold up to the traction that pavement offers?
Thanks in advance.

• cleonard

Posted November 03, 2006 - 02:09 PM

I am sure this has been asked but how reliable would an XR600 be for dual sporting? Please do not tell me do buy a 650l. I want to spend less than $2000 and cannot find a good L for that price. I live in TN so I only need to add brake light switch (<$20), mirror (<$20), and horn (about $40). It would see very little dirt so do they hold up to the traction that pavement offers?
Thanks in advance.

You will be fine in the short and medium term. The 600 doesn't have the cush drive so it may slowly take it's toll on the transmission in the long term. Plenty of people ride XR600's on the road.

You may think of adding a DOT headlight if you plan on riding it at night. The stock headlight is kind of like a high beam and will piss off oncoming traffic.

• goblin127

Posted November 03, 2006 - 09:02 PM

You will be fine in the short and medium term. The 600 doesn't have the cush drive so it may slowly take it's toll on the transmission in the long term. Plenty of people ride XR600's on the road.

You may think of adding a DOT headlight if you plan on riding it at night. The stock headlight is kind of like a high beam and will piss off oncoming traffic.

I thought the L didn't have the cush drive either?

• creeky

Posted November 04, 2006 - 05:50 AM

I have converted 3 XR600Rs to road legal, two with Baja Designs kits and one kit done from scratch. The converted 600 is superior to the L model in every way except for the E-start. I have had no problems resulting from the lack of a cush drive.

• XR_Dude

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:20 PM

I have been dual sporting on my 97 XR 600 for about 6 years and have had no problems with the tranny. Have fun!

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 06, 2006 - 01:37 PM

The XR600R is superior in every way to the L off road and on. I have two plated XR600Rs and both are great. One guy I know plated one in 1991 and still has it and he has over 60 thousand miles on his with never having to tear the motor down. I say do it.

• wickedsprint

Posted November 06, 2006 - 02:11 PM

The 650L does not have a cush drive hub...

• cleonard

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:18 PM

The 650L does not have a cush drive hub...

That's it, I'm going to ride my plated 600 on the road a lot more now. I thought that the 650L did have a cush drive. I've always been kind of paranoid about riding on the road due to the tranny. Well no more! I'm fixing my turn signals and brake light ASAP. Over 60,000 road miles sounds reliable to me. :mad:

My friends KTM 640 has a cush drive. What are they for? Seems like it would be an expensive thing to put on the bike if it was not needed to protect the tranny. Perhaps it makes the ride a bit smoother?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ferdinand

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:27 PM

I just passed on a fairly clean 96 xr600r (offroad only but who cares) for $1200 or $1000 if I'm lucky. Maybe I need to reconsider.:mad: That voice inside me keeps telling me too many bikes.:mad:

• FOUR STOKED

Posted November 07, 2006 - 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Ferdinand That voice inside me keeps telling me too many bikes.

Too many bikes... no such thing:thumbsup:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 08, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I just passed on a fairly clean 96 xr600r (offroad only but who cares) for $1200 or $1000 if I'm lucky. Maybe I need to reconsider.:cheers: That voice inside me keeps telling me too many bikes.:p

To many bikes! Yikes! I have 5 and want more more more!!! If I found a 96 XR600R for that price, my checkbook would be out so fast the guys head would explode! Then Id have three XR600Rs!

• Jon-D

Posted November 09, 2006 - 11:59 AM

My friends KTM 640 has a cush drive. What are they for? Seems like it would be an expensive thing to put on the bike if it was not needed to protect the tranny. Perhaps it makes the ride a bit smoother?

If you look at the gears of a RFS (450/520...), which is similar to the 640, they are relatively small in comparison to the XR's (less surface area = more stress). I think KTM uses a cush drive as an added measure of protection for the trans. As for the comfort, I don’t believe a rider can really feel the difference between a cush and non-cush drive system.

• keesha

Posted February 15, 2007 - 09:47 PM

I have done more than 6000km on my 94 XR600, mostly on sealed roads. No cush drives resulted in the slpines on the drive shaft (primary shaft?) being worn through by the drive sproket. Honda gave me a new shaft the first time as it was just out of its 6-month warranty and Honda was kind to me but I had to pay the labour costs. Three times now I have had to replace the shaft which is expensive because the whole motor has to come out and be taken apart to the bottom. Nothing else in the motor has needed any attention but I put new rings and cam chain in on the second drive shaft replacement just as a maintenance precaution. I suspect engine braking and thumpy power output from the big single pot makes for excessive wear of the drive shaft against the drive sproket and therfore the chain and therefore the rear sproket and rear wheel. I undertand that a cush drive's main function is to disapate some of that wear-force, otherwise all that metal to metal contact wears away the weakest part, which in my case has been the drive shaft splines. If anyone knows about cush drive wheels that fit a 94 XR600 please see my seperate thread about needing a cush drive wheel, as I don't want to have to replace the shaft a 3rd time.

• focallength

Posted February 16, 2007 - 02:14 PM

I dual sport my 96 xr600r Its even plated, I have no problems, the bike handles freeway traffic with ease. Just find a good set of dual sport tires and you can go where ever you want. I run a 90/10 (mostly street) tire on my bike and the only offroad trouble I ever have is going up steep inclines, but the solution to that is usually just more gas. The bike does ride a little high and with no windscreen you can get buffetted a bit on the freeway, but other than that its perfect.

As for drive shaft wear, I havent had any problems and I usually ride about 2000 miles a month, Maybe its the difference in year.

• EMathy

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:47 AM

I've got a dualsported, plated 94 XR600. It's got a few things added to it that I think are pretty important for all around dualsporting...the most important being a Baja Designs dualsport kit and re-wound stator. The stator is a big deal for good lights and running a GPS.

Anyways, my XR did a 2,500 mile, 5 day offroad solo dualsport trip without the slightest problem. I love that bike...:censored:

• lhark

Posted February 18, 2007 - 05:25 AM

There's no such thing, as too many bikes.......I have a 650L and really like it, but am in the process of building an XR600 to dual sport, because I had a blast on one them, off road, for 10 years. It will be interesting to see how different they operate.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.