03 wr450 seized

9 replies to this topic
  • mud99

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Need help.
I just dumped my 03 wr450 over in a brook. I could't get my footing and the bike and myself layed in the brook for about 5 sec and the bike stalled. I had to dump the water out of the air box. I did't start it but tried to see if it would kick over and it was seized. I can not kick it over. Please help.:mad:

• Alley Cat

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:27 AM

Does it turn over now or not?

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:42 AM

Pull the plug and try to kick it over. The cylinder may be full of water.

• mud99

Posted November 03, 2006 - 11:37 AM

I pulled the plug and you were right. A bunch of water came out when I kicked it over with my hand . What damage could I have caused and what do I do besides changing the oil. Thanks again for your help. Do you think I should change the oil run it and then change it again.

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 03, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Probably no damage since you didn't force it. Change the oil, run it a few minutes and then change it again. Check the oil and if it's clean (not milky) you should be good to go. I would probably change it a third time after a short ride just for extra measure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Anchslayer

Posted November 03, 2006 - 02:15 PM

Done that many times, change the oil 2 or 3 times running in between, put a new oil filter in on the last change. Clean the air filter and might as well pop in a new spark plug since you have it out. It should be fine.

• BASSic

Posted November 03, 2006 - 04:12 PM

Like PBDBLUE said, as long as you didn't force it you should be OK.

You can cause some damage if there's water in the cylinder and the piston is on the compression stroke since water doesn't compress as well as air, but if you didn't force it when you realized it wouldn't move you should be ok.

• Beejay

Posted November 06, 2006 - 04:39 PM

In addition to the above I'd drain the float bowl & check for any dirt/grit.

• lixno

Posted November 07, 2006 - 08:17 AM

I experienced the same thing a couple of months ago. Just keep changing the oil until it stops having that awful milky color.

• AkRider

Posted November 08, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I also run a bit of trany fluid with the first oil change. It helps absorb the water in the oil.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.