Shopping for a XR600, what do you think of this one?

8 replies to this topic
  • donnyh

Posted November 02, 2006 - 10:23 PM

This one sounds great to me, but will this setup run good on pump gas?

The seller doesn't know the exact compression ratio with that HRC kit, and says it does run fine on premium, but with only a couple hours on the motor I wonder? Plus the seller is in SoCal, a lot closer to sea level than my Uintah mountain range/playground here in Utah, if that matters.

Price is $2000+, the bike looks good, I'll add a pic if I can figure it out.

Ad:
1994 Honda XR 600 R Street legal with green sticker (Dual Registry)
A great desert bike completely rebuilt with a new HRC Power Up Kit
(638cc). Included new cylinder and piston, camshaft, valve springs,
and clutch basket. In addition to the power up kit, new rod and
bearing, valves, cam chain, clutch center and clutch springs.

Transmission was gone through and all suspect gears replaced. New
kickshaft pinion and lever. All machine work was done by XR's Only.
Mikuni 41mm flat side carb (XR Only) New White Brothers E2 exhaust,
new Ricky Stator 200 watt lighting/charging coil, new Ricky Stator
Hot Shot ignition.

new Michelin AC10 DOT legal knobby tires and
Michelin heavy duty tubes. New RK X ring chain. New Dakar lighting
kit and UFO fenders. New EBC brake pads. I went through all of the
suspension, everything is tight and greased, upper, lower links and
rear wheel bearings.

The bike came with the Precesion Concepts and
SMS stickers, not sure if the forks and rear shock have been rebuilt,
but the rear shock has an eibach spring (not stock) at any rate the
suspension works great for me (180# rider)

Renthal bars, brush busters, heavy duty skid plate and chain guard. Uni airfilter, Clark Desert tank in white and all manuals, bike has about two hours running time since the rebuild.

• rebelventurer

Posted November 02, 2006 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like all it needs is riding and an oil change, xrs only can probably tell you about the compression ratio on the hrc kit. Sounds like a fair price. the parts alone would tally that. Go ride it, good luck. Oh, a simple jet change would be advised depending on your altitude.

• frankstr

Posted November 02, 2006 - 10:46 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, donnyh, You'll get some answers here...:mad:

:mad: :mad:

• LandSharkGT

Posted November 02, 2006 - 11:05 PM

Man sounds like a lot of effort went into building this bike!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • donnyh

Posted November 02, 2006 - 11:26 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome.

It does sound like a lot of work, I guess what worries me is that it will be harder to start than stock with that compression, finicky about gas, and maybe have heat problems.

I decided a XR600 is right for me, mainly because of that rep for simplicity and durability, is the one in the ad so overbuilt I give up some of that simplicity?

My usage is standard, you know, all of it: trails and forest roads(Utah style, it's endless), slick rock and sand washes, mixed with interstate runs, and camping trips (I hope to go spend like a month camping on the Paiute trail. Ride, fish, shoot, camp, repeat.)

I'm stoked on getting back into this, I had an uncorked 89 YamXT600 years back, I loved that thing... Now I'm all about getting a thumper Honda.:mad:

• creeky

Posted November 03, 2006 - 05:28 AM

I had a '96 XR600 with the HRC 628 kit, WP suspension and a fulll Yoshimura exhaust for a couple of years. Proper use of the manual compression release made it no more difficult to start than a stocker, I could sit on the seat and start it with one kick when the engine was warm, two or three kicks when cold. It did not like low octane fuel, it ran best on a 50/50 mix of 93 and Turbo Blue. I took it to Mexico once, it pinged like hell on Pemex (Pee-Mix) Premium, I had to put it on the trailer and ride the spare stock XR600.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 03, 2006 - 11:02 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome.

It does sound like a lot of work, I guess what worries me is that it will be harder to start than stock with that compression, finicky about gas, and maybe have heat problems.

I decided a XR600 is right for me, mainly because of that rep for simplicity and durability, is the one in the ad so overbuilt I give up some of that simplicity?

My usage is standard, you know, all of it: trails and forest roads(Utah style, it's endless), slick rock and sand washes, mixed with interstate runs, and camping trips (I hope to go spend like a month camping on the Paiute trail. Ride, fish, shoot, camp, repeat.)

I'm stoked on getting back into this, I had an uncorked 89 YamXT600 years back, I loved that thing... Now I'm all about getting a thumper Honda.:mad:

Rest easy dude! I have a desertbike a 1992 XR630R HRC motored bike with basically the same set-up and it starts, using the XR starting drill which Id be happy to spell out for you, in two kicks when cold, one when warmed up. They are only hard to re-start, all XRs after a crash if you don;t pick them right back up. But having the Mikuni mayeven take care of that problem. Buy it before someone else does, that a GREAT price for a motored up XR! Oh and on the fuel. Just use premium, or put in some octaine booster if you can't get premimum.

• creeky

Posted November 03, 2006 - 11:29 AM

They are only hard to re-start, all XRs after a crash if you don;t pick them right back up. But having the Mikuni mayeven take care of that problem. .

I ran Edelbrock carbs on my 600s, completely eliminated the crash/flood/hard start situation plus much better throttle response and better acceleration throughout the rev range.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 03, 2006 - 12:36 PM

I ran Edelbrock carbs on my 600s, completely eliminated the crash/flood/hard start situation plus much better throttle response and better acceleration throughout the rev range.

Yeah, Im either doing Edelbrock or mikuni...anyone have a setup for sale? I have a 1996 XR610R supermoto I want it for.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.