'00 XR650R-3 unrelated questions.

7 replies to this topic
  • hypersthenos

Posted November 02, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hey all, Getting cold up here with black ice imminent. Drained the oil & am ready to do some winter maintenance on my '00 XR650R. Plan on valve adjust, clean the oil screen, replace the clutch bushing. Any other maintence suggestions while the oil's out? Also I'm fixing to put handwarmers on. I have the BD DSK & DIY rewound stator. Just wondering the best place to tap in for power for the handwarmers. I read that a lot of guys just tap into the headlight lead. I'm running a 55/60W bulb. Will the additional draw cause problems with the BD wiring to the headlight. Are there more ideal options? I'm also planning on adding a GUTS tall/soft seat foam & cover. Though I like the height of the stock setup I'm ready for something comfy. Hoping that the soft foam will compress to something similar to stock with my butt in place. Anyone have any input on this stuff? Thanks in advance.

• simon@vic

Posted November 02, 2006 - 12:47 PM

no answers for you. but I'm interested in your seat plans............

• cleonard

Posted November 02, 2006 - 02:30 PM

Hey all, Getting cold up here with black ice imminent. Drained the oil & am ready to do some winter maintenance on my '00 XR650R. Plan on valve adjust, clean the oil screen, replace the clutch bushing. Any other maintence suggestions while the oil's out? Also I'm fixing to put handwarmers on. I have the BD DSK & DIY rewound stator. Just wondering the best place to tap in for power for the handwarmers. I read that a lot of guys just tap into the headlight lead. I'm running a 55/60W bulb. Will the additional draw cause problems with the BD wiring to the headlight. Are there more ideal options? I'm also planning on adding a GUTS tall/soft seat foam & cover. Though I like the height of the stock setup I'm ready for something comfy. Hoping that the soft foam will compress to something similar to stock with my butt in place. Anyone have any input on this stuff? Thanks in advance.

You should be OK on the wiring. It should take up 10 amps with no problems. The headlight is 5 so that give you 5 more for the warmers.

• pburke

Posted November 02, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Hoping that the soft foam will compress to something similar to stock with my butt in place. Anyone have any input on this stuff? Thanks in advance.

I just put the tall soft guts on my bike - it is a little higher than stock (fine with me - I am 6'2") but not by much. Feet still easily flat foot the floor - I really gotta get the rear sag adjusted.

not miles on the new seat so no comment on it being comfy or not. The staple job to get the new cover on there is a bitch - get/rent a power stapler before you do this< or at least have a person help with the stretching of the cover while you focus on driving those staples deep into the plastic seat shell

Peter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted November 03, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Re tapping into the electrical system, I cheated and put all my DIY 650R stator output into the reg/rec and then to a small sealed lead-acid battery, which then feeds an aftermarket 6-fuse panel. All that except for the reg/rec is mounted on a small aluminum frame that I fabbed and mounted behind the UFO headlight assembly.

Yeah it was a super pain to get that all sorted, but now that its done it is super easy if I ever need to power anything (GPS, grips, etc). I posted a schematic and some other details in My Garage.

Also, I am kicking around heated grips as well. Have you decided on a brand?

Also (2), am seriously considering the Gutz for a winter project, please keep us posted.

• hypersthenos

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Thanks so far everyone for your input. Hey InternalCombustion I remember seeing a post on your wiring project. You truly are a kung foo master. I've always prided myself in doing a decent job of wiring but you must be a surgeon! As far as the handwarmers I'm going with a setup sold through my local dealer available through Tucker Rocky. Nothing more than heat tape elements, a resistor (for the lo setting) & a 3 way switch. The big problem is the left side of the bar that conducts most of the heat into the aluminum causing a great difference in the temp of both grips. I used to wire the resistor into the right side & simply run a 2 position switch to equalize the temps but this still leaves the left side colder & takes much longer to warm up. I've kicked around a bunch of ideas & have finally settled on a possible solution, albeit an expensive one. I'm going to buy the setup (can't remember the name) that allows the left grip to rotate slightly by isolating it from the bar with a throttle tube & rubber cushions. It requires the use of 2 throttle side grips but will allow the heaters to work perfectly. Kind of an expensive & elaborate setup but up here in the NW I consider grip heaters essential on a street legal bike. Not bad on a wet trail ride either.

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Hey InternalCombustion I remember seeing a post on your wiring project. You truly are a kung foo master. I've always prided myself in doing a decent job of wiring but you must be a surgeon! As far as the handwarmers I'm going with a setup sold through my local dealer available through Tucker Rocky. Nothing more than heat tape elements, a resistor (for the lo setting) & a 3 way switch. The big problem is the left side of the bar that conducts most of the heat into the aluminum causing a great difference in the temp of both grips.

Thanks for the kudos, not sure if I'm a surgeon (My wife says "anal" is more accurate) but I do like tidy wiring.

Re your cooler left side, that's a common problem, the heat tape is going up against bare aluminum which is a big heatsink. The trick is to use extra-large shrink tubing and apply that to the aluminum bar first. The shrink-tubing will insulate the heat tape a fair amount, minimizing your heat loss to that side. Cheap, should work. Check out this web page from Dual Star

[Gotta go to an appointment, more later...]

• hypersthenos

Posted November 03, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Thanks InternalCombustion. Guess I'll change my plan & save some $. I like the fact that the Dualstars have no resistor. I've had them fail before. BTW if anyone needs replacement resistors for that type of handwarmers Radio Shack sells them in a pack of 3 for about $3. They're identical to the ones in the kit. Still hoping for some input on the GUTS seat.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.