Tight intake valves?

7 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted November 02, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I've got 10K desert miles on my xr650r.

Both intake valves have been tight on the last 3 adjustments. Is this normal or a sign of bad things to come?

Bike starts first kick and runs strong.

• simon@vic

Posted November 02, 2006 - 01:02 PM

most bikes tighten and the valve seats in the head it pushes the stem up decreasing your clearance.

unless it happens fast and they get really tight it is normal.

• creeky

Posted November 02, 2006 - 01:25 PM

It is not uncommon for XR intake valves to "tulip". As the valves sink into the seats, the clearance goes away and eventually the intakes are held slightly open, symptom is low compression & hard starting. The valves being tight 3 times in succession, I think I would consider replacing them.

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 02, 2006 - 04:18 PM

How often do you adjust the valves? I do mine every 1000 miles and they're tight. Bike has 17k desert miles and runs fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:16 AM

The last 3 adjustments we at about 1300 miles intervals. They were tight each time.

• RhedF350

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:23 AM

I just did the first adjustment on mine this week. It's an 05 650r with 1000miles on it. The intakes and exhausts were all tight. I couldn't even get the 020 into the ex side. I left them just a bit loose and it fired up and ran and idled fine. I ride with a bunch of xr guys and they swear that the factory sends them tight to seat. But also that it's OK to run them a little loose. I'm not even gonna check em again till about 500 miles or so.

• wickedsprint

Posted November 04, 2006 - 08:12 AM

I just did mine for the first time as well, this is after around a 1000miles also, one intake and one exhaust were barely tight, I could still get the feeler in there but it dragged more than I like, I adjusted all 4 to be a hair on the loose side.

• HawkGT

Posted November 06, 2006 - 11:32 AM

I do mine every 7-900 miles. I'll usually fine the intakes .001" tight. Sometimes one side or the other will be fine but at least one is usually a smidge tight. The exhaust side doesn't usually move.

Maintaning excellent air intake filtration is one of the best things you can do to keep intake valves alive.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.