I think I need a better skid plate My poor 450

16 replies to this topic
  • cashflow911

Posted November 02, 2006 - 12:12 AM

I was riding at ocatillo wells last weekend and crashed on a well placed rock. I bent the oil line bolt that holds the line to the engine case. I think I am going to buy the skid plate here on thumper talk, it looks like it offers way more protection. This line almost had me pushing my bike back to camp. Good thing I had extra bolts in the smog pump that I left on and a handy rock to bend the line back. Anyways watch those lines they are not pefectly guarded.

• jbrooks26

Posted November 02, 2006 - 12:43 AM

I would like to cast my vote for the Flatland Racing skid plate, I installed one on my 426 before a trip to CO this spring. It got some real abuse too, not even much for scratches on it. It has been a real tank in my opinion, I was running a Moose plate before and I have several dents in the front legs of the frame where rocks pushed right through the Moose. Just my 2c, great quality and a very competitive price.

Josh

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 02, 2006 - 03:37 AM

I have had great success with the Utah Sport Cycle bash plate. It is 4 years old now and looks beat up but still protects very well.:mad:

Posted ImagePosted Image

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 02, 2006 - 11:19 AM

The plastic/flimsy aluminum skidplate on these bikes should be the first thing to be replaced.

• Bullwinkle

Posted November 02, 2006 - 02:41 PM

The Utah and the TT are one in the same I believe.
:mad:

• rich1167

Posted November 02, 2006 - 03:01 PM

I have the Utah. Money well spent.

• Gwigibo

Posted November 02, 2006 - 04:48 PM

I have the Utah skid plate as well on my 06 and it looks good and has worked well thus far ...
-B

• cashflow911

Posted November 02, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Yeah Im buying a skid plate right now. I was 35 miles out from camp when it happened, thats to far to be pushing that beast. I was looking at the oil pour out thinking &%$#@! am i going to do now. I get 10% off at thumper talk so I think ill get that plate. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tr21r

Posted November 02, 2006 - 10:16 PM

I bought the unit out of the Yamaha 2006 catalog and that thing was stout. I liked the way the side covers were smoothly integrated into the overall unit and they protected the very well.

• bg10459

Posted November 03, 2006 - 05:45 AM

I've got the GYT-R skid plate on my bike. Aside from some sloppy welds on the inside of the plate (the outside welds are perfect:thumbsup: ), the thing is great. It bolts directly to the stock mounting holes, something that I'm not sure you get with the Utah plate (based soley on the pic in Indy's post:excuseme: ). Since I take my skid plate off for every oil change, this is a big feature, IMO.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 03, 2006 - 07:14 AM

I've got the GYT-R skid plate on my bike. Aside from some sloppy welds on the inside of the plate (the outside welds are perfect:thumbsup: ), the thing is great. It bolts directly to the stock mounting holes, something that I'm not sure you get with the Utah plate (based soley on the pic in Indy's post:excuseme: ). Since I take my skid plate off for every oil change, this is a big feature, IMO.

that is what sold me and not to mention it is thick. i ride in the same area you do and i have given this plate a pounding and it holds up great. cant beat the bolt on and off freature which makes it nice:ride:

• emtrvt

Posted November 03, 2006 - 07:40 PM

i have the devol that i put on at octollio for my first ride on my wr. it bolts to the stock holes and i take it off when i change my oil. works great.

• foxomatica

Posted November 03, 2006 - 07:49 PM

I have the Moose which I think is the same as the Utah. It is great. Had the devol and it sucked. Too thin and not as easy to remove and put back on as the Moose.

• Bullwinkle

Posted November 04, 2006 - 05:12 AM

I've got the GYT-R skid plate on my bike....It bolts directly to the stock mounting holes, something that I'm not sure you get with the Utah plate (based soley on the pic in Indy's post:excuseme: ).

It uses the front stock holes but I did use two of the hangers in the back - those really work well though.
:mad:

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 04, 2006 - 07:17 AM

I use the yammy one and have no problems. on/off easy for oil changes and if I remember right, it was cheaper than the others I looked at.

• cashflow911

Posted November 04, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I may have to check into the GYT-R skid plate

• Beejay

Posted November 07, 2006 - 04:04 PM

I use a locally produced Hyde bash plate, made from polypropolene, fits snuggly. I prefer it to the aluminium as it gives off less vibration & engine noise & just glides over rocks without gouging/sticking onto them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.