Silencers What's quiet and better

2 replies to this topic
  • Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted December 18, 2001 - 11:49 AM

After reading the other threads regarding the debate on noise and the new California restrictions, I wanted to focus on what technology is currently available and how to test db levels.

I have a FMF Powerbomb header and Stroker Exhaust/Arrestor. I have access to a db meter but what proceedure will the California enforcement people be using- i.e rpm, distance, angle, etc.

Next, what are some of the products currently available and the pros/cons regarding weight and performance compared to stock. Would stock meet the db limit?

Next, does anyone have a link to the specific law, timetable for enforcement, and other details.

Thanks

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Harold in So Cal ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted December 18, 2001 - 12:40 PM

Harold,
The Jan(?) issue of DirtRider has a decent little article on the noise tests. The Rangers at Middle Creek (NorCal) looked up in their handy little book the test rpm for the given bike, used a vibration tach to monitor rpm and measured dBA at a distance of 20 inches from the exhaust outlet @45 deg (~4 o'clock as I was sitting on the bike) from the bike. My '99 WR400 with stock exhaust/Thumper Racing insert measured 95dBA. The 'A' scale is the mathmatical 'weighthing' that most closely represents human hearing.

Brian

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 18, 2001 - 01:23 PM

It is definately not the White Bros E-Series for the Quiet....But it Kicks A$$ in the HP dept.

Bonzai :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.