DC power how big of bulb?

7 replies to this topic
  • Desracer

Posted November 01, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I am going to a 100 watt stator which will make DC power at my light. It will be a Trail Tech unit with rectifer regulator. My WR is an 05 model. Has anyone put in a larger than stock 55 watt bulb when converted? I am looking for more light from the stock headlight so larger bulbs should now work. I know I can go to a HID light, but I want to max out the stock unit. Heat might be a factor from a larger bulb, so any ideas?

• Alley Cat

Posted November 02, 2006 - 05:06 AM

I think there is already a few people that use a more powerful light bulb.
If heat is going to be a problem (shouldn't be) might be worth installing an on/off switch so you can turn it off when not in use. This is something I must do.....

• taksx

Posted November 02, 2006 - 11:53 AM

. Heat might be a factor from a larger bulb, so any ideas?

The great thing about the 2005 WR is that it comes stock with a glass lense I don't think you'll have a problem with heat :mad:

But holy cow why a 100 watt stator? planning on providing light for the competition :mad: I'm not picking on you, but would love to check out with what ever you end up with.

cheers :mad:

• Desracer

Posted November 02, 2006 - 05:28 PM

I lost my lights at Starvation Ridge last Sunday just past the briar patch section, it was grim! My helmet light cord went through the rear brake rotor also. Now my rectifer regulator has a problem it blew out the new headlight bulb. I made one lap in the dark. So I am going to have more power and more light and no more problems. I hope!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • taksx

Posted November 03, 2006 - 08:59 AM

I lost my lights at Starvation Ridge last Sunday just past the briar patch section, it was grim! My helmet light cord went through the rear brake rotor also. Now my rectifer regulator has a problem it blew out the new headlight bulb. I made one lap in the dark. So I am going to have more power and more light and no more problems. I hope!

Oh man that had to suck. on the up and up side your hooking your self up big time...nice:worthy: post a pic of the set up maybe you'll inspire some of us to a better light system.
I like to zip tie the crap out of all my wires. i have my light cord with about a foot gap from my chest protector to my bars giving it no freedom to venture off past my lap and on to moving parts, same goes for my race radio.

• simon@vic

Posted November 03, 2006 - 12:59 PM

But holy cow why a 100 watt stator? planning on providing light for the competition :mad: I'm not picking on you, but would love to check out with what ever you end up with

100w isn't that big a. i just put a 270w stator I'm my "Mexico bike"

"stock" windings are for the ignition {35w}.the other "stock" windings are i think 35w, intended for the head and tail lights. now i have that running to a 2phase reg/rec charging a small DC battery for the turn signals and horn.

then there is 2x 100w ac windings.

one i have running a PIA 80w/80w {puts out 110w/135w} head light, reg tail light, brake light, and my trail tech vapor back lighting.

the other 100w is doming nothing right now...... thinking of maybe powering the gps and some other stuff off it...

• simon@vic

Posted November 03, 2006 - 01:13 PM

also. i don't think you need to buy a stator for a WR. they have a funny winding system but are FULLY wound!.

stock set up sends part of the power {dc} to the battery to charge it for the starter. and another part {ac} runs the stock head light and tail light.

you want to modify your stator so all the power is going to the DC system {battery} then run everything "switched" off the dc system. it works well and i would guess you could run a 80w bulb no problem off that! unless that will melt the bucket around the headlight lens...

here is a very nice link on how to modify {simply and easily, no winding} your stock stator................there are also good pictures that will show you the windings be for you take your bike apart. good luck!

PAGE 12-16 of the PDF link!!!!!!!!
http://www.bajadesig...0&250 03-on.pdf

• simon@vic

Posted November 03, 2006 - 01:17 PM

also you can use any 3phase full wave REG/REC {like all street bikes have}. you don't need the Baja one. but seeing as they provide the instructions and your not buying there kit you might as well support them and buy there reg/rec...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.